• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Filling gaps between substrate panels

Xcesiv

I am doing a large job where there are a lot of panels involved and a lot of the panels required complex cutting which i could not get anyone to do other than cutting them by hand.

To add to the hassle the framework supplied by the client isn't perfect either so the panels are not perfectly lining up.

What i am trying to find is a product i can use as kind of a filler between the panels to smooth out the finish to give it a smoother finish and reduce the chance of failure of the media.

The media used is a anti graffiti lam so there is no give in the media to stretch it to shape.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Billct2

You want something to fill the uneven "cracks" between the panels prior to applying the graphics? Or are the panels actually raised up from each other and you want to smooth this out somehow? A pic would help, also what materials are involved. Are they interiror or exterior? You cut the panels but the client supplied a frame? Complex cuttting is usually handled by a CNC these days.

Xcesiv

I need to fill the gaps between the panels. smooth out so they kinda look seamless.
something like bondo or a body filler, but something that the vinyl will stick to?

With the panels not lining up properly its only in 2 or 3 areas. i will be taking the panels down and then persuading the frame a little with persuasion tool and then possibly fitting a thin spacer if i have to as well to pull the panel out a little so they sit flush.

Xcesiv

wont be a sledge, maybe a big hammer...lol.

The project manager is saying how she doesnt like this and doesnt like that, but im like, all im doing is riveting onto the frame you had built. Its your bad frame that has caused this issue. Im fixing there mistakes.

And with the addition of the complex cuts and angles making my suppliers unwilling to help its made this a bit of a nightmare.

And i wont even get into the artwork issues i have had. lol

Back on topic.
some form of sand able bondo is what i was thinking. Is there any kinda bond like product that vinyl will stick to?

Maybe a quick clear spray paint over the bondo??

What are your thoughts

Billct2

I would also consider a paintable caulk or if it's a small gap. Whatever I used I would prime & paint it, Krylon dries quick.

J Hill Designs

yeah sure just spray on some gloss clear. I am under the impression that, as long as you clean the bondo joints well, vinyl will stick. piece of mind with a 10 minute spray job wont hurt either.