• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Finally making the plunge!!!!!!!

rcook99

:covereyes:Well I finally made the jump into the solvent printing world. Tomorrow my used Mutoh VJ1204 gets delivered and setup by the dealer. I am so excited yet very nervous, I previously had a Canon IPF8000 and that worked out very well with no problems. I am just hoping the Mutoh is as user friendly as the Canon was.

I am open for any pointers as far as maintenance and suggested materials to use and stay away from. The biggest problem for me is hearing the names of companies I have never heard of before such as Catalina, LG just to name a couple. Any help or direction is greatly appreciated.

:thankyou:

tsgstl

congrats, welcome to solvent...just as the big money is running to latex.

Always the best time! This guy is getting in to the field for pennies on the dollar for what we all did.
I got a Hi-8 cam when they all went digital. Same family memories
I got a rear projection TV with beautiful quality for $500 when everyone was spending $5000 on flat screens.
Most customers have no clue the difference between latex and solvent. And maybe ink will get cheaper.
The Mutoh is a perfect solvent with great quality. Print as much as you can, the more it sits the more problems you will have. I try to print at least 10-20sq ft a day.
Good luck!!

rcook99

Always the best time! This guy is getting in to the field for pennies on the dollar for what we all did.
I got a Hi-8 cam when they all went digital. Same family memories
I got a rear projection TV with beautiful quality for $500 when everyone was spending $5000 on flat screens.
Most customers have no clue the difference between latex and solvent. And maybe ink will get cheaper.
The Mutoh is a perfect solvent with great quality. Print as much as you can, the more it sits the more problems you will have. I try to print at least 10-20sq ft a day.
Good luck!!

LOL I could not have said it better myself. I don't have the volume yet to justify a new latex machine. The best part is the machine I am buying has a brand new print head and has been completely gone through by the dealer.

CS-SignSupply-TT

Used vj12104

LOL I could not have said it better myself. I don't have the volume yet to justify a new latex machine. The best part is the machine I am buying has a brand new print head and has been completely gone through by the dealer.

What warranty did the DEALER give you? Will you be using OEM inks -or- 3rd party plug-n-play inks?

Speaking of LG, I would stay away from the LG because they discontinued distribution in the USA (previously discussed on this forum).

Catalina was previously marketed with GMI, but was recently consolidated into Catalina and returned to its roots.

Other media to consider is FDC, 3M, Avery (hey! some folks like their media), Oracal, and General Formulations to name a few for your consideration :Welcome:

rcook99

Ciber Supply TT
What warranty did the DEALER give you? Will you be using OEM inks -or- 3rd party plug-n-play inks?

Tim I had 2 options, the first was for a 90 day P/L at no charge and a 1 year P/L for $1,000.00. It was a tough decision but I chose to go with the 90 day as the machine has a brand new print head and mother board per the dealer. Only time will tell if I made the correct decision.

As far as the inks I will be using factory inks. I always stayed with factory Canon Inks and when I sold the machine and did a head check it was printing like the day I bought it. It is still to new for me to venture into non OEM inks.

CS-SignSupply-TT

Which warranty?

Ciber Supply TT

Tim I had 2 options, the first was for a 90 day P/L at no charge and a 1 year P/L for $1,000.00. It was a tough decision but I chose to go with the 90 day as the machine has a brand new print head and mother board per the dealer. Only time will tell if I made the correct decision.

As far as the inks I will be using factory inks. I always stayed with factory Canon Inks and when I sold the machine and did a head check it was printing like the day I bought it. It is still to new for me to venture into non OEM inks.

As long as you are ready, willing, and able to "...get under the hood..." when the need arises, you should be okay.

rcook99

Thanks Baz!

Tim I am more than willing to fix it if need be. Already found an owners manual to read before it's delivered.

rcook99

Well it's up and running.:clapping: Let the learning curve begin! Ok the cleaning g and maintenance part seems pretty straight forward but this media profile deal has my head spinning. Does anyone have any suggestion on where to start other than the manual. I might already know the answer (just start printing). I have banner, econo vinyl and 3M-IJ35C so let the games begin. :banghead:

rcook99

Mike thanks for the confidence. I am like a kid at Christmas with my new toy. Love the fact in itself of the durability of the finished product. To not have to cut 3 or 4 colors when making a sign or banner is AWSOME.

edgette

I bought a brand new 1324 in the fall. Hopefully you got a good deal on a used machine with that little warranty, mine has 2 years on it.

For the profiles I would just start running test prints and playing with settings. I use mostly oracal material and have found settings that yield good results.

Maintenance is very easy and as long as you're printing and not letting it sit for long periods you should be fine.