Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

finding better art

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by The Vector Doctor, Oct 5, 2012.

1. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    often a customer will send art that is far from ideal. There is a little known function at google image search that will try to find a better version of the same image.

Just click on the google image tab and upload your art by selecting the camera icon located on the right side and let it do the work for you. I often have success

Here is one that I am working on today that is far better than what the customer sent even though they told me it was the best art they could find.

http://www.eglin.af.mil/shared/media/ggallery/hires/AFG-070104-013.jpg

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    you can also just drag and drop on the search bar :thumb:

3. The Vector Doctor

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    When I do that it just opens up the image in my browser

Attached Files:

4. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    hmm i always just drag/drop onto the images search bar to use it

5. Gene@mpls

Gene@mpls Very Active Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Blaine, Mn
    I don't see the camera in Firefox. Is it similar to Tineye?

6. The Vector Doctor

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    It is in Firefox too. Not a browser issue, make sure you click on the images part of google not just the default google homepage. I have much better success with this versus Tineye and I previously used Tineye and was looking for a better solution

7. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Good tip, thanks.

wayne k
    guam usa

8. royster13

royster13 Very Active Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Montrose BC
    I sometimes ask clients to send me files ending in PDF......Yesterday I got an order for 3 colour mugs, along with a crappy JPG.....After a couple emails back and forth they found a PDF which turned out to be a proof of some other products the ordered elsewhere and the PDF included perfect vector art...

9. peavey123

peavey123 Active Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    How did I not know you could search with an actual image?! Thanks Doctor.

10. 2B

2B Moderator

May 5, 2011
    TX

+1

Thanks for the tip

11. Tim Aucoin

Tim Aucoin Very Active Member

Wow... just when you think you know everything!! Thanks Eric. This is a great tip! :thumb::clapping:

12. Marie

Marie Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Love this tip - Thanks for sharing!

13. SAR.Summerlin

SAR.Summerlin Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Best tip I have seen ever this will make my life easier. Thanks Doctor

14. fresh

fresh Very Active Member

May 16, 2011
    nj
    I'm kinda an jerk that way... Before I send my proofs, I convert them to bitmap. On VERY rare occasion will I send a vector file to a client. I do this mostly so they can't go to another sign company with my fantastic files. Also, if someone sends me crap, and I vectorize it, there is no f'ing way they are getting that file from me (unless they pay pay pay for it.)

For example, someone gave me their crappy printed menu with their very nice, obviously well designed, logo on it. I asked him to have the designer forward me a vector file, but that was too much work for this particular guy. So we freaking redraw the logo (typical.) A year later, he calls me asking for the vector file... He went to Staples to order a banner (didn't even think to call me,) and they said it won't look very good using a photocopy of his menu. I suggested he just order the banner from us, and he said we were more expensive. He didn't understand why we wouldn't give it to him. Um, yeah.

So now when people call me for artwork, I send them back what they originally sent to me. If they question me, I just say "I was able to use that, I don't know why so & so can't. Maybe they don't really know what they are doing. You DO KNOW you can order those items from us, don't you?"

15. SueSchmidt

SueSchmidt New Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Great tip - thanks for sharing!

16. 401Graphics

401Graphics Very Active Member

sweet!

17. spawk

spawk New Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Wow

Thanks for the tip.. Its something i should have known long ago..