• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Finding Experienced employees

I'm finding it impossible to find an employee with any experience. It takes so much time and money to train. Ads in the paper don't seem to help. I posted a job opening on Indeed.com and received 100 resumes, but none with any experience. Any advise?

Since we haven't seen your ad maybe your ad is whats discouraging experienced people from applying. Maybe you need to pay more? If I saw an ad asking for someone with experience that said it was paying min wage or lower I wouldn't even fill out an application. Because I know you and I are never going to agree on pay. Plus a cheap boss only gets worse not better. Maybe the experienced people are just that, experienced and know who are just looking for cheap labor and know they need to be payed accordingly. Just a thought. If I was going to run an ad I would put the pay levels from $12-25/hr depending on experience. That way when someone goes looking for a job and is looking for high wages. They will see your job and know that it is possible to make it to that level. I haven't seen your ad so I wouldn't know what the issue is.

rjssigns

Go to your local technical college that has a graphics/design/print degree. Problem solved. At our local tech college to graduate you must complete an internship. Perfect way to see if someone is a good fit.

jtinker

Owner
experience in design & print doenst necessarily mean experience in signage. A fresh faced graduate would be floundering around for months after he is hired.

I didn't put a wage down, but it probably wouldn't hurt to put a starting range. I typically start individuals with no experience at 9-$10/hr. The last employee started at $10 and was up to $13.50 within a year. In a small town, with a population of 2000 people, that's not a bad start - and there was still room for advancement. Unfortunately, her diabetic husband lost his job with health insurance benefits and she moved on to a larger company that could offer insurance. Here is the ad I put on Indeed.com:

We are looking for an individual who is creative, excels in multitasking, is detail oriented and customer focused. You will have a dual role working in both design and production. Applicant must be mechanically inclined, willing to learn new skills; large format printing and vinyl experience is a plus. You will be responsible for creating computer generated vinyl and/or full color graphics output that can be weeded, cut, and mounted to a substrate. In the production room, you will be responsible for all aspects of the physical construction and assembling of signs from computer cut vinyl and wide format full color printouts, which includes proofreading and conducting quality assurance to ensure the accuracy of signs. Installation responsibility will include application of vinyl graphics on vehicles, walls, windows, etc. Additionally, you will install interior and exterior signs. The ideal candidate is a creative, self-motivated team player who can work in a fast-paced environment.
Responsibilities Include:
• Setting up files for print.
• Preparing graphics for installation
• Installation of vinyl lettering and large format vinyl graphics to various substrates including banners, signs, and more.

Requirements:
• Ability to analyze and solve issues creatively, using common sense
• Outstanding client service
• Handy and safe with tools/equipment
• Computer literate. Experience in Abobe is a plus.

jfiscus

Rap Master
It does NOT sound like you are looking for experienced employees by the wording of that ad.
It sounds like you're looking for someone who can learn.

I would agree. I have a graphic design degree myself, and felt like nothing in the curriculum prepared me for designing designs and graphics. It's a completely different approach than designing for small format printing. The last time I was looking for help, I put an ad in for a graphic designer because I figured it would be easier to train them in the sign industry than to train them in design...

bulldozer

we are currently going through the same thing with designers. kids fresh out of college, and they seem pretty lost. we have gone through 6 designers since march. they either couldn't handle the workload, or self-labeled designers who had no idea what they were doing. we had a couple kids say "well my school said i should be making $25/hour straight out of school" :Big Laugh not without experience you won't.

rjssigns

experience in design & print doenst necessarily mean experience in signage. A fresh faced graduate would be floundering around for months after he is hired.

Not from our college. Students in the program know how to design and produce work on Roland Eco-Sol and UV printers, HP latex, HP Indigo 5600 digital press, Epson wide format and cut vinyl projects. In fact there is a class called Wide Format. Last year the class project was wrapping a trailer for the Boy Scouts.

My students learn how to make banners, posters, t-shirts, greeting cards, bumper stickers etc... Are they experts in all phases? No, but they can produce sellable work on industry standard equipment by the time they graduate.

wgsengraving

If someone applied with 15-20 years of experience, how much would you offer in compensation? Those people are out there, but not willing to apply when it looks like an entry position.

neato

With so many areas pushing for $15 minimum wage, I would think a sign shop should be able to swing at least that for someone without experience. If you want experience and someone to stick with you, think about $20+

I was getting paid $15 10 years ago working for a sign shop. I did have experience and it wasn't enough to make me stick around for long. I considered it a temporary job.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Put in there that you are looking for experienced employees, familiar with sign making, design, production, installation, etc.
If they have to know certain software, put that in there also. You'll get less responses, but you'll get more qualified responses.

TimToad

It does NOT sound like you are looking for experienced employees by the wording of that ad.
It sounds like you're looking for someone who can learn.

I perceived it exactly opposite of you. There is way too much language in the ad pertaining to things you MUST do, and all the varied skills you immediately MUST have. There is literally no language pertaining to training, or "the successful candidate will be trained" etc., etc.

I wouldn't respond to the ad. It contains way too many required skillsets and responsibilities without any inkling of what the compensation is.

Now knowing of the pay scale the OP offers, he'll be churning through employees forever with the low value he places on his employees. I don't care if you operate in a hamlet of 500 people, if you have enough business activity that requires additional help, then you pay them a living wage.

I could flip burgers for $9-10 per hour just about anywhere.

To the OP, reread the ad and be intellectually honest with yourself about how much you expect in return for a very low payback.

TimToad

I would agree. I have a graphic design degree myself, and felt like nothing in the curriculum prepared me for designing designs and graphics. It's a completely different approach than designing for small format printing. The last time I was looking for help, I put an ad in for a graphic designer because I figured it would be easier to train them in the sign industry than to train them in design...

But your ad is seeking MUCH more than just a designer or layout person. You are expecting broad multi-tasking abilities, production skills, the ability to work with tools, do installs both inside and outside, which means getting up on ladders, working in all sorts of awkward conditions, etc.

And you want them to deal with the customers.

My gut reaction is that you like the idea of paying as little a possible using the size town your located in as justification, but then you can't understand why nobody hangs out very long.

The longer the ad and the more duties included in it, just makes many people leery of how much MORE you'll dump on people to do once hired.

Inexperienced workers expect to see something in an ad relating to training and organization, I don't see anything like that in your ad. Even without mentioning wages and compensation, all I'm left with is a huge amount of required or "preferred" skills and lots of duties to be handled without anything about how I might be paid if I'm hired.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I wholeheartedly agree with Tim. You have far too much in the way of requirements and nothing what's in it for them.

You have lingo, that unless one knew exactly what you are talking about, they'd be lost.

You might as well, just call your competition and ask their employees if they'd like to come work for you for less money.

To me, it sounds like you are trying to sound like a big shot and impress either your competitors or someone you think might read this.

If you were running that ad here on s101 or some sign magazine, you'd have 1/2 a chance, but a local paper or that Indeed thing...... forget it.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I think your problem is, you live in the sticks... 100 mile radius
probably yields at most, 100-150,000 employable people, then
how many of them with graphic or signage experience.

Us for instance, we live in the sticks too but we probably have
9,000,000 employable people in a hundred mile radius.

I looked up the cost of living in your area... houses for 120k would
be impossible here. Saw a 2 bedroom for close to 50k. I could live
there on 15 bucks an hour there... would live decently if I had a spouse
making 15 as well.

Being in the sticks, the quality of design education might be low
so being educated may not be comparable or compatible to your
needs.

If you are posting this with anonymity, some experienced people
might hold off sending. I want to know who I'm sending my stuff to.
Try posting who you are too, and the pay scale.

I've seen your work, it's basic sign shop fare that can easily be done
some level of experience. When asking for experience, you really have
to be specific... your list still looks like you are looking for entry level.

Responsibilities Include:
• Interacting with clients.
• Taking a job from sale to completion with no supervision.
• Design and layout.
• Setting up files for print/cut.
• Preparing graphics for installation.
• Installation of vinyl lettering and large format vinyl graphics to various substrates including banners, signs, and more.

Requirements:
• Ability to analyze and solve issues creatively, using common sense
• Outstanding client service
• 1-2 years of sign shop and design experience.
• 1-2 years of experience with Adobe CC (Mostly Illustrator and Photoshop)

First of all, I really do appreciate all of the comments. I'm a little bit of a rookie, so for those seasoned in the industry, please forgive me. I openly accept constructive criticism. Although, it seems some doesn’t come without an insulting effort. I’ve only had a couple employees, and none with experience. With that said, if I felt like I was doing everything I should as an employer/business owner…I never would have started this post.

Tim: Your gut instinct is wrong…and a little judgmental. There are so many variables to my situation that you don’t know. The size of my town has more to do with my market and the organic growth I’ve had. I do think, other than that comment, you had made very valid points. I really do appreciate it.

Gino: I am most definitely NOT a big shot, but I don’t think there is anything wrong with attempting to sound educated… Plus, it makes me feel better when I make my student loan payment every month;)

I apologize if my naive approach has offended anyone. This would also be one of my first post. Perhaps, I need to start with a disclaimer: I DO NOT KNOW EVERYTHING, but I do love to learn! (which I don’t think is a bad think in an ever-changing industry)

Rick: Thank you for taking the time to do a little research so that you could give the best advice according to my situation. It’s pretty awesome.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
First of all, I really do appreciate all of the comments. I'm a little bit of a rookie, so for those seasoned in the industry, please forgive me. I openly accept constructive criticism. Although, it seems some doesn’t come without an insulting effort. I’ve only had a couple employees, and none with experience. With that said, if I felt like I was doing everything I should as an employer/business owner…I never would have started this post.

Tim: Your gut instinct is wrong…and a little judgmental. There are so many variables to my situation that you don’t know. The size of my town has more to do with my market and the organic growth I’ve had. I do think, other than that comment, you had made very valid points. I really do appreciate it.

Gino: I am most definitely NOT a big shot, but I don’t think there is anything wrong with attempting to sound educated… Plus, it makes me feel better when I make my student loan payment every month;)

I apologize if my naive approach has offended anyone. This would also be one of my first post. Perhaps, I need to start with a disclaimer: I DO NOT KNOW EVERYTHING, but I do love to learn! (which I don’t think is a bad think in an ever-changing industry)

Rick: Thank you for taking the time to do a little research so that you could give the best advice according to my situation. It’s pretty awesome.

Sorry, if you misunderstood honesty for insulting. I didn't say you WERE a big shot, I said you come across as one by using so many terms and lingo as if you think everyone else knows it. Presumptuous might've been a better word.

It seems you liked the posts which agreed with you and the ones that pointed out shortcomings got to you a little. Like you said, you're a rookie and this is pretty much how someone takes constructive criticism that actually can't take it.

What Rick did for you goes above and beyond what most members would do. I can't fathom his doing that for each and every poster here, so he must've seen a glimmer of hope.

You can't offend anyone here. We're all in this sh!t tank together and unless we help each other, the printing business is gonna die out real soon. It's the fakers, liars and lazy people that need to take offense, so you should be safe in that respect. Nothing wrong with someone asking for the moon in an employee. Just be careful how you word it, so you don't sound defensive and overbearing to possible wannabees. Good luck.....
:thumb: