• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Finding it hard to cut this decal

VinylCutter

Hello experts

Client has provided a .ai file. Because it is made up of so much distinct parts, am unable to give it the correct cut-path. How can I print-cut this design. Using a roland machine. Unable to attach the .ai file. Attached PDF.

Thanks

Attachments

• first_working_area_vinyl.pdf
    99.8 KB · Views: 148

WI

Unite is definitely the way to get your cut path. Now I assume each one of those, hmm, I guess we'll just call them "leaves," is an individual object with it's own fill? If so, I would clone everything twice, that way you've got three copies of the artwork inside a single document.

I'd turn the bottom one off and lock it so that I have something to go back to once I've shot myself in the foot.

I'd use the Unite operation on the middle layer to make my cut path.

On the top copy I'd select everything and then use Object->Path->Offset Path, set to something fairly low like 0.125", then Inverse Select, and then hit Delete. Theoretically, this shouldn't have too much effect on the gradients inside the leaves since the size adjustment was very small, and any crazy transparency effects should remain intact since all you've done is just pushed the paths out a little bit.

Again, this is theory. Not actually having access to the artwork I don't know precisely what you're dealing with, but under the right circumstances it should work. At the very least I hope it sets you on the right path.

Tim Aucoin

Unite works fine, and yes, you'll have to add bleeds, but... some of those lines go to a very fine point and will be tough to maintain I would think. Attached is a quick & dirty result of the unite command, then a cut outline applied. :smile:

Attachments

• Outline.pdf
    541 KB · Views: 165

Aklaim

In Illy, just copy the artwork layer and then turn off your original layer or lock it, merge everything together, go object> path> offset path> set the distance (bleed) you want and then change it from a fill to a stroke.

Attachments

• first_working_area_vinyl.pdf
    127.4 KB · Views: 143

VinylCutter

Thank you so much for your help folks.

I do not know Corel, just forwarded the PDFs you attached to my software guy. He was able to give a cut path using that image.

This was a sample submitted for a client. He wants 3-4 images to be done. Abt 100 sq.ft in total. If he awards me the work, i plan to get drawn the exact cut path in Photoshop as you guys did in Illy/Coral with some tools. Yes, there's an easier way to do it i know, but the guy i have is not able to understand,

Thanks again for the timely help