• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Finding Redwood

dlndesign

I am in southern california, is there anyone that knows where I can get 3" thick Redwood locally? I am looking for pannels 7' tall by 5' wide. Thanks. If not, would someone know what I should be looking for instead? Should something like this be glued and in pieces?

J Hill Designs

Thats big wood - perfect plank sells WR cedar @ 3.125" thick 60"x71"

personally for something that size I would visit a mill and plane/join in house...

Rojo

Talk to someone at your local full service lumber yard, not a big box pretender. Often times special sizes can be ordered, although at very special prices. $$$$$$. I know my local place can because they grow and harvest their own redwood. Not much help for SoCal though.

dlndesign

Jhilldesigns, what does it mean to plain/join in house? What does WR Cedar mean? Weather Resistant? Not following the terminology.

G-Artist

planer jointer is a machine that will plane the edges very smooth and true so the boards can be glued up properly. That is a peice of professional equipment most real lumber yards/mills have.

W.R. = Western Red Cedar I presume.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's getting harder and harder to find good redwood with vertical grain clear heart. Personally, I've never used 3" thick stock. Genererally, we use 6/4" and occasionally 8/4". You're basically looking at 4" x 4" posts, which I highly doubt will be any good for gluing up to your required size. The grain will probably make it twist over a short time. Your widest plank will be about 11-1/2" wide, so it will take eleven pieces 7' glued on top of each other. However, if you're asking these basic questions.... you might wanna align yourself with someone locally that can do this for you properly.

3" inch verges on lam beams... not really considered sandblasting substrates.

Patrick46

As much as I prefer to do things the old fashioned way...

Why don't you just use HDU? You're just going to paint it aren't you?

here is your answer^^^

Redwood is sooooooo expensive to work with anymore, plus if you don't know about things like verticle grain and what a planer/joiner is...you may wanna consider an alternative sign substrated anyway. Plus for such a big project, these are going to half to get laminated together, and the sandblasting is a huge chore...plus just the weight of the darn thing trying to move it around to work with.!

Redwood IS cool an all...but if you don't know how to work with it, it could turn out to be a VERY cosly mistake! VERY COSTLY INDEED!!! :omg: