• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Finding the studs in building facade

medavez

I have an install on a new building: channel letters on a raceway.
I've replaced old signs in the past, and so there were already existing fasteners. Mind you, I didn't use the old fasteners, nor the holes; but I knew where the studs were, steel or otherwise.
Being this is new construction, where do I start?
Two signs are going on stucco sign bands, one is going on a brick wall.
How should I approach this? Any advice is welcome and appreciated...

ams

Why use studs? I don't. If it's a stucco wall with plywood core, use thread all, if it's brick, use a glue in stud or lead anchors or thread all.
If it's a stucco wall with foam and no support, VA law requires a backer to be used, so we use a 2X6 board as a backer and use thread all.
Also if it has a wood core, we'll use regular wood screws usually 4".

DerbyCitySignGuy

Exterior wall? A stud finder should work. You can also do the old "knock on the wall" method. Use your knuckle and rap on the wall until you hear a change in the sound. Mark the spot, check 16" in either direction to make sure you didn't find something that isn't a stud.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Other than using a 12lb sledge, I don't know how you can find a stud through a brick wall, unless you have some amazing new technology. Even the stucco will be a challenge is you don't know the thickness of it... or have the specs on the original build. Best case if you wanna locate a stud is to go into the inside walls and find it with a stud finder on the drywall side and carefully transfer all your measurements to the outside.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Other than using a 12lb sledge, I don't know how you can find a stud through a brick wall, unless you have some amazing new technology. Even the stucco will be a challenge is you don't know the thickness of it... or have the specs on the original build. Best case if you wanna locate a stud is to go into the inside walls and find it with a stud finder on the drywall side and carefully transfer all your measurements to the outside.

Well, you shouldn't need to find the studs on a brick wall, so that's kind of a moot point. I wouldn't trust measurements from inside on the outside.

AMS already mentioned it, but there's really no reason to use the studs anyway. Just a suggestion if he absolutely had to use studs for some reason.

d fleming

Exterior wall? A stud finder should work. You can also do the old "knock on the wall" method. Use your knuckle and rap on the wall until you hear a change in the sound. Mark the spot, check 16" in either direction to make sure you didn't find something that isn't a stud.
Like power.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Another reason you can take specs from the inside wall....... you can PRE-locate outlets and junction boxes with power readers and know just about where they all are, which will also indicate where wiring will be.

Last edited: