Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fire Truck Font ID

Discussion in 'Fonts and Typography' started by Fred Weiss, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Anyone recognize this one?

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Charlie J

Charlie J Very Active Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Midwest
    Similar to copperplate?

3. Fred Weiss

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Not really, closer to Friz Quadrata or Flange ... but I'm looking for an exact match.

4. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    alexon is about as close as it gets I think - and its like a 99.8% match

5. Graphics2u

Graphics2u Very Active Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Iowa
    This one is called Extend. R and E need tweeked.

Attached Files:

6. Chimuka

Chimuka Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Minnesota
    noblesseSSK is not exact but close

7. Si Allen

Si Allen Very Active Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Looks to me to be a nice hand lettering job!

Notice the slight flat spot on the start of the curve on the 1st R ... caused by low tack tape when lettering.

Also the loop on the 1st R is a bit tighter.

8. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    If I'm not mistaken, that is in fact a font but it is exclusive to a particular fire apparatus manufacturer and it has been requested here on many occasions. Some years ago I had a conversation with one of the staff of the sign shop at one of the manufacturing facilities regarding either that font or a similar one and I was told that they digitized it based on a typeface one of the old timers used when hand gilding. I cannot recall which manufacturer it was.

9. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    Yeah I have probably traced a dozen fire truck lettering jobs. They all have that similar style of lettering

10. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
  11. jfiscus

jfiscus Adobe Shinobi

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    What type of truck (apparatus manufacturer) is it on currently?

12. Fred Weiss

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Don't know. Just trying to help a friend ID a font he needs.

13. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    The closest thing I know of is an early version of LHF HENSLER (not currently offered). HENSLER 2 Regular can be tweaked easily enough.

14. jfiscus

jfiscus Adobe Shinobi

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    Closest I have are Newtext & Modesto...
    It's definitely a font, as it's on all their other trucks in the pics, it would help in identifying it greatly if he had a pic of the text not arched.

If the manufacturer would have lettered it I could tell you, but since the local dealer subbed it out I can't get it.
    Here are the local dealers: http://www.spartanerv.com/dealers.aspx?state=California
    He could possibly call and see which one sells to that dept, then see who did the lettering on their new truck; then ask them what font was used.

15. jfiscus

jfiscus Adobe Shinobi

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
  16. round man

round man Active Member

Oct 16, 2005
    More than likely it is a digitized personal font from the original gilders lettering types. Having done quite a few firetrucks for a dealer down south here and communucating with quite a few "Firetruck gold men" over the years, I can assure you it was common practice as soon as dealers started wanting and calling for signgold many gilders digitized their own trademark fonts to keep their past clients happy and getting the same styles they had been paying for in the past,...I assure you when a client spends anywhere from a quarter to over a half million dollars for a vehicle they don't like seeing sudden differences in their identification due to a supplier not having the same font they have bought and paid for over a couple of decades and have come to expect,...I have been told many times the reason the fire dept came back to the dealer we served was among many other factors the consistency in the way we lettered their trucks and how well it held up,.....