• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First Fire truck

keeperofthecode

Fixing to do my first fire truck. I've already read that 3M is the only way to go for reflective vinyl for the back. Anybody want thow any other tips or tricks my way before i jump into this. Thanks.

7oaks

I would check the NFPA regulations. I think the vinyl required for the back can't be cut on a standard plotter

Ken

Edna

3m or Oralite 5600 is also a great reflective for applications like this.
The back "chevrons" should be out of high intesity reflective.
Since they are only strips so you can just cut them with a knife and straight edge,
use some 2" application tape as a spacer and just lay them on by hand.
not like I know anything about doing this mind you.

2B

I would check the NFPA regulations. I think the vinyl required for the back can't be cut on a standard plotter

Ken

+1

also for installation measure MANY times install once.
You can not reposition reflective once it is installed, messes the reflective properties up in the film

wildside

3m or Oralite 5600 is also a great reflective for applications like this.
The back "chevrons" should be out of high intesity reflective.
Since they are only strips so you can just cut them with a knife and straight edge,
use some 2" application tape as a spacer and just lay them on by hand.
not like I know anything about doing this mind you.

uhhhh, your "on" your meds today i take it......:thumb:

Rickey J

I have done a ton of these. Here are some things you should know.

-Stripe must be 6"wide
-Stripe must alternate color from red to yellow
-Stripe must run at a 45 degree angle from center down
-Must cover 50% of the rear of the vehicle

Hope that helps.

HulkSmash

Reflexite is absolutely the best stuff. Oracal recently bought them out, and their colors are great, and it applies pretty easily.

3m's stuff is bad. You need a special cutter that seals the edges or it bleeds...

7oaks

All fire depts should have a current copy of regulations. Percent coverage and type of material should be in the handbooks.

Ken