• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First Laminator Question GFP

KeithMan

We got the GFP355 laminator and had a rush job to laminate. I managed to bumble my way through laminating a 3x4 foot poster without any issues, but wondered if anyone could tell me what temp settings I should be using. I just used 2 for temp and speed, but it was a stab in the dark.

greysquirrel

the temp is associated wit your speed...faster you run, the higher tem[ needed. Its not a set number. every film laminate will act differently.

KeithMan

We had no training. I have learned by watching the videos they had, but wasn't sure what happened with too much or too little temperature.

Joe House

Did you get onsite installation and training?

Hey great point Unclebun, but lately, we equipment suppliers have had to be creative/restrictive, etc. with our installs. It's very difficult at some points of training to maintain a proper distance during training - imagine trying to show someone how to properly set the blade exposure on a plotter.
The videos you posted were a great reference and we're doing stuff like that all the time.

Keith, I'm sure whoever you purchased this from is grateful for the sale and would also be helpful in answering questions to get you going. But, to answer your question directly, greysquirrel has great advice and I would add that you want to use the least amount of heat as possible. Many of our customers rarely use heat when laminating.
The main advantage to using heat is that it makes the adhesive flow out better which will give a better initial impression because it reduces silvering. The silvering will usually go away in a day in most cases.
The main disadvantage is that it makes the laminate (and media to a certain extent) heat up, which softens it and makes it more likely to wrinkle and can also cause laminates to stretch (if tensions are not set correctly) which will then make them want to contract afterwards which can lead to premature failure in the field or even in the shop before you get a chance to apply the graphics.

Good Luck and stay safe