• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help First Time DIY Help

Adooma

I am looking to wrap my car. I have 0 experience but have some questions.
Is Matte/Satin vinyl easier to work with than Gloss?
I heard matte is easier because even if stretched the flat look would still look flat. A proffessional told me they charge more for gloss because it is harder to apply. What do they mean?

Which brand would be best for a first timer, in terms of easy to reapply, fix bubbles and wrinkles? I also don't want to spend too too much. Vivvid seems ok but Avery and 3M look superior to me.

My questions are more looking for help on choosing material as of right now. I was thinking Avery because it has more stretch ability, which would help also for the slightly cold conditions I will be doing it in.

SignosaurusRex

With all due respect Adooma... (because I admire your tenacity and go-get'm D.I.Y. attitude) What ever material you choose, buy yourself a full roll because with no experience under your belt, you very well may need it unless you drive an over-sized refrigerator box. Hire an experienced professional and pay for the job. With a little luck, they may let you watch the experience of what it really takes to wrap a vehicle. Best of luck whatever route you choose.

Adooma

As much as I know I'm going to regret not paying a professional, I feel like this would only be necessary to start me off to a possible future income path. I love working on cars and this is by far the most intimidating job I will be doing, but i'll only learn if I try, and obviously make mistakes.

AKwrapguy

I am looking to wrap my car. I have 0 experience but have some questions.
Is Matte/Satin vinyl easier to work with than Gloss?
I heard matte is easier because even if stretched the flat look would still look flat. A proffessional told me they charge more for gloss because it is harder to apply. What do they mean?

Which brand would be best for a first timer, in terms of easy to reapply, fix bubbles and wrinkles? I also don't want to spend too too much. Vivvid seems ok but Avery and 3M look superior to me.

My questions are more looking for help on choosing material as of right now. I was thinking Avery because it has more stretch ability, which would help also for the slightly cold conditions I will be doing it in.

So first off if your doing looking to do a full vehicle go see a professional. There are many freelance guys that you might be able to reach out to. I would go to a manufacture site and look for 'preferred' or 'certified' installers. The manufactures I would stick with are 3M, Avery, Orafol/Oracal, or Hexis. They offer a some great colors and finishes and their vehicle wrap films all come with technology that assist with application. For you're application I wouldn't worry so much with brand as the color and finish that you want.

I'm not sure why the 'professional' installer told you that gloss was more difficult to apply. Are you sure you are talking gloss not mirror or chrome?

Matte/luster wraps require a heat gun instead of a torch (I would look at only using a heat gun anyways)

You said that your looking at Avery because of more stretch ability, which would help as you applying in slightly cold conditions. Don't apply in cold conditions. The material will become brittle and easily rip. You need to be in temperature range the manufacture suggest.

I encourage you to start small. Get some small sheets from different manufactures and apply them to your vehicle and than remove them. This way you can get a feel for the manufacture that you like.

If your going to attack this head on and just go for it, buy enough material to do your vehicle twice. You will mess up a lot.... don'y worry about it happens.

Things you will need to make it as easy as possible:
Watch lots of youtube video's
Applicator or squeegee ( I suggest some thing like the silver streak from geek wraps)
Heat gun ( one with variable settings so you can adjust the heat)
25 ft extension cord
Isopropyl Alcohol
Clay Bar
Soapy Water
Lint Free rags
Tools to remove accessories
Clean well lit shop
Several free days
A good friend, Beer and Pizza

Adooma

So first off if your doing looking to do a full vehicle go see a professional. There are many freelance guys that you might be able to reach out to. I would go to a manufacture site and look for 'preferred' or 'certified' installers. The manufactures I would stick with are 3M, Avery, Orafol/Oracal, or Hexis. They offer a some great colors and finishes and their vehicle wrap films all come with technology that assist with application. For you're application I wouldn't worry so much with brand as the color and finish that you want.

I'm not sure why the 'professional' installer told you that gloss was more difficult to apply. Are you sure you are talking gloss not mirror or chrome?

Matte/luster wraps require a heat gun instead of a torch (I would look at only using a heat gun anyways)

You said that your looking at Avery because of more stretch ability, which would help as you applying in slightly cold conditions. Don't apply in cold conditions. The material will become brittle and easily rip. You need to be in temperature range the manufacture suggest.

I encourage you to start small. Get some small sheets from different manufactures and apply them to your vehicle and than remove them. This way you can get a feel for the manufacture that you like.

If your going to attack this head on and just go for it, buy enough material to do your vehicle twice. You will mess up a lot.... don'y worry about it happens.

Things you will need to make it as easy as possible:
Watch lots of youtube video's
Applicator or squeegee ( I suggest some thing like the silver streak from geek wraps)
Heat gun ( one with variable settings so you can adjust the heat)
25 ft extension cord
Isopropyl Alcohol
Clay Bar
Soapy Water
Lint Free rags
Tools to remove accessories
Clean well lit shop
Several free days
A good friend, Beer and Pizza

Thank you very much AK, i just purchased a large roll of 3M 1080 Plum Explosion, a heat gun, and some squeegees as i have most of the rest. Me and 2 others will be hopefully starting my car next week when the vinyl comes in. I'm gonna be watching videos all day till then and preparing mentally for this.

What I hope on doing is doing panel by panel slowly and trying my best not to cut corners, removing anything in the way. Also cleaning and heating up the garage since it might be around 50 degrees in Chicago. Thanks again!!

AKwrapguy

Thank you very much AK, i just purchased a large roll of 3M 1080 Plum Explosion, a heat gun, and some squeegees as i have most of the rest. Me and 2 others will be hopefully starting my car next week when the vinyl comes in. I'm gonna be watching videos all day till then and preparing mentally for this.

What I hope on doing is doing panel by panel slowly and trying my best not to cut corners, removing anything in the way. Also cleaning and heating up the garage since it might be around 50 degrees in Chicago. Thanks again!!

Good Luck, post pics when done.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
What kind of actual experience do you have with applying vinyl? One a scale of 1-10, wrapping a vehicle is a 10. You skipping the 1-9 part of the learning curve.

To answer the question... I would prefer Gloss and find it easier to apply vs matte. Got to be careful with heat and matte vinyl.

And 55-70 degrees is my sweet spot for installing wrap material.

Last edited:

equippaint

If you have the money pay a professional. If you want to learn the trade, get a job in the industry. Plenty of people are looking for workers and are willing to train.

AKwrapguy

I've been told that gloss lasts longer outdoors than matte.

So my personal vehicle I have material on there that I've been testing for the last few years. It's looks like it's been in an accident as it's partially wrapped with matte black film.

The installation is pretty much the same but you just can't us a torch on matte. The biggest issue I found is that in horizontal surfaces such as hood and roof, the matte doesn't age particularly well. It could be the extreme Alaska conditions, but the matte does seem to 'hold' the dirt, not as much as a textured film such as carbon fiber, but when we have a heavy pollen days the material does get a greenish/yellowish hew.

ams

A vendor told me that the matte doesn't lay down flat, so it's prone to lift and issues arise.