• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

first time so be gentle with me

wirenut

just getting started in this field.......electrician by trade and have a desire to get a wide format printer/cutter........what is the best unit to go with and is it like a boat? if I get a small 1 will I always want a bigger 1? would it be a mistake for me to start out with a 64" and whose is user friendly and would be recommended? Just starting would I need anything else? Recently purchased a toshiba satellite laptop (a year and a half now) I know already outdated but would it suffice? other computer is a mac tower 0S10 so thought I needed pc platform for corel draw? Could anybody point me in the right direction? thanks

J Hill Designs

tired of the sign trade - what do I need to become an electrician? I have a multimeter, do I need anything else?

:thumb: happy friday

TwoNine

Well. No, printers are not like boats. You still want to do this?

J/K....Kind of.

Best advise: Go work in a real shop for some time and see if this is what you want to do. There are a LOT of good shops who would LOVE to hire a licensed electrician.

That is honestly my best advise.

-Chad

Mosh

Best advise: Go work in a real shop for some time and see if this is what you want to do. There are a LOT of good shops who would LOVE to hire a licensed electrician.

++++ I too just got some romex and some ties, anything else I need to be an electrician?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
i thought people like this were weeded out (pun intended) before they signed up?

No Chris. We weed out end users and spammers. We welcome folks of all experience levels, including none, who express an interest in earning all or part of their livings as professional sign makers. The OP has done that and has been accepted as a Signs 101 member.

wirenut

thanks, Fred! Wow, thought I would have been received just a little better than that!
Might I get an answer to my question?

TwoNine

Sure.

Yes. You'll want a bigger one.
It would not be a mistake to start with 64"
Yes. You will need more stuff.
The computer you have will work.
CorelDraw can be found at corel.com

-Chad

kylebrk

thanks, Fred! Wow, thought I would have been received just a little better than that!
Might I get an answer to my question?

No, you're laptop wont be good.

What do you want to print?
Are you going to do wraps? Fine Art? Banners? Posters? Decals? Labels?

Are you an experienced designer or have access to one?

Do you have any research on your market to dictate buying a printer?

Are the other sign shops in your market healthy?

If you're an electrician, should consider buying a good bucket truck instead of a printer?

The guys are being sarcastic, but it's the truth. You saying you have an old laptop and want to buy a printer is the exact same as saying I have tool belt and would love to buy a utility truck to become an electrician.

It's okay to be green. Just understand that a lot of the older guys take offense to anyone insinuating that the sign industry is as simple as buying a laptop and a printer.

If you have the money to start. Wait on it, go work at a shop and get some real experience. I guarantee you it's not what you expect. It might be better than you expect. However, you should find that out on someone else's dime. Not by wasting a ton of your own money and whoring out the market while you figure what the hell you're doing.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No, you're laptop wont be good.

What do you want to print?

Are you going to do wraps? Fine Art? Banners? Posters? Decals? Labels?

Are you an experienced designer or have access to one?

Do you have any research on your market to dictate buying a printer?

Are the other sign shops in your market healthy?

If you're an electrician, should consider buying a good bucket truck instead of a printer?

The guys are being sarcastic, but it's the truth. You saying you have an old laptop and want to buy a printer is the exact same as saying I have tool belt and would love to buy a utility truck to become an electrician.

It's okay to be green. Just understand that a lot of
the older guys take offense to anyone insinuating that the sign industry is as simple as buying a laptop and a printer.

If you have the money to start. Wait on it, go work at a shop and get some real experience. I guarantee you it's not what you expect. It might be better than you expect. However, you should find that out on someone else's dime. Not by wasting a ton of your own money and whoring out the market while you figure what the hell you're doing

Nope. Many of the younger knowledgeable ones feel the same way.

Age doesn't mean anything.... other than we've been around the block a few more times and can see things more clearly than some others. However, you are correct about the rest of what you said. :thumb:

My question is the same. Why... if you are a qualified electrician, put time and money into training and becoming certified would you want to just jump into an industry, where you basically know nothing and have a coupla grand to throw around without any insight or knowledge ?? That sounds not only foolish but irresponsible. What drugs did you take or silly television show did you watch to come up with..... Hey, I'm gonna buy 40 grand of equipment and see if I can make it work.... for me. Isn't it far less expensive to buy the equipment to become a cobbler or an electrical consultant ??

TwoNine

A cobbler?!?! LoL!!....You never know though. They probably have CNC boot fitting machines now that have 5-axis heads on the that can carve a boot out of a single block of leather! LoL...A cobbler..........

Mosh

You will need more than a laptop, try more like a $2K-$3K graphic made system for doing the RIP, you will need felxi or signlab software to make cutting easier ($3K-$4K), a lamintor ($7K-$12K), printer (64" $18K and up) PLUS about $5K of "odds and ends" tools and equipment (too many to list on here) Plus a dust free eviroment controlled area to do all this in. All this would be a starter, bare-bones operation.

BTW do you even kow about RIP?

LOL.... Cri-Cut now Cri-cobbler

Sticky Signs

I would think that a 54" printer/cutter (Roland, mimaki or other) would be a good start. You will also need at least a 55" laminator.
A good computer and up to date software is also a must.
A good work table with straight edges and various other tools will also come in handy.
Buying the above equipment is probably the bare minimum that you need to get started and will allow you to produce a wide variety of signage. keep in mind that you will also need to deal with a huge, expensive learning curve.
Best of luck!