• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First try at hand carving....

neato

his isn't the best pic, still need to work on my photography skills. Going to try to get some better ones in a bit.

Trying to teach myself to hand carve signs. I've also gotten some great help from Adrian Page on this.

Learned a lot on this one, namely not to use crappy HDU. This stuff was in a pile of scraps I received a while back, it was very grainy and a bit warped, I thought it would be fine for practice, but it's just too grainy. I also learned I need to keep practicing my curves!

Attachments

• address sign.png
    address sign.png
    566.6 KB · Views: 133

Billct2

Looks good! I remember when I decided to learn hand carving. Since my hand lettering skills were being replaced by the computer I thought I'd learn setting that s machine would never be able to do.....
I still do skittle hand work now and then, mostly when it's something that can't go on the router table

neato

Thanks Bill. Seems like there isn't much left that can't be done by a computer controlled device.

Trying to develop a unique skill so as not to have to have to worry about competing with all the other "sticker cutters" in town. Seems to be a dying skill, even more so than hand painting. Plus, it's really fulfilling.

Hopefully I'll get there one day. Practice practice!

neato

You know, I'm not sure. I was given a bunch of scraps a couple years back and it was in the pile. Maybe it's older signfoam stock? Must be pretty lightweight, it's not even close to the 15lb Duna sample I have.

Billct2

I never liked carving in HDU, the grit that gets on everything sucks.
Plus you don't have the nice smell of wood.
But wood is definitely more challenging, learning to work with the grain.