• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

fixing a panel to steel frame

2 see signz

Drove past a few signs today that are composite panel fixed to a 2" box steel frame, i can see that theres no fold on the edges or screws , how would this be fixed to it?
vhb tape and epoxy?

CanuckSigns

depends, i try to always use some type of mechanical fastner, I learned my lesson the hard way!

it may use some type of cleat on the back, or possibly a shallow pan around the sign face with small screws along the returns? without a pic it's hard to say.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Drove past a few signs today that are composite panel fixed to a 2" box steel frame, i can see that theres no fold on the edges or screws , how would this be fixed to it?
vhb tape and epoxy?

One of the most common ways is to VHB-tape aluminum angle to the ACM panels. The angle can be drilled or through-bolted to the sign frame. It's also not uncommon to build slip-over cabinets that simply slip over the sign frame and don't require actual fasteners (depending on the design, of course).

Mosh

VHB or counter sunk rivet or screw. I counter sink rivets then bondo, just like doing auto body work. use a bevet bit. Make for a clean look.

2 see signz

ill drop past tonight and take a pic. from what i could see, there was no evidence of fixings, and being double sided, surely tape on its own would not be standard practice.
its a full laminated print on alucabond (composite aluminum) so i dont think they would of used bondo on this one.

2 see signz

heres two pics i took

would epoxy be that strong to rely on?

Attachments

• 2012-10-30 19.06.00.jpg
    2012-10-30 19.06.00.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 2012-10-30 19.06.16.jpg
    2012-10-30 19.06.16.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

TwoNine

That's VHB IMO. The space between the post and the panel is equal (and similar thickness to VHB) on both sides and all the way up and down as far as I can tell. With epoxy or adhesives you'd probably see some variation in thickness and probably a little that came out when pressing the panels (even if it was wiped up - you'd see it right at the edge of the post and panel.)

Moze

Precision Sign Services
VHB...that's all that would be required and what is typically used for signs like that.

Mosh

VHB tape for sure. I was at a trade show and the 3M rep had two peices of aluminum held together with VHB. He put them in a vice and cranked on them. The aluminum broke but the joint held with the VHB stayed together. Try and remove some and you will be a believer!!!!

Just let it set up 24 hours and it is there for good!