• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FJ-50 Moving Media Forward and Reverse Stopped Working

graphicsphere

Hi Everbody,
I have a Roland FJ-50 I might have put too much weight on the media rollers because I used a really big and heavy roll of banner material and now my printer won't move the media forward or in reverse. I don't get any error message and the printer still even prints but only one line thick because the media never moves forward. I'm sure it didn't break the pinch rollers because of too much weight though. It's an old printer but has been working really good so I don't know what could have caused it?

A when I click (Setup Media) it doesn't roll the media forward to the front paper sensor. It just sizes the media but doesn't auto load the sheet and the up and down buttons don't work on the control panel. When I press the up or down buttons on the control panel it makes a louder fan noise like it's going to move but it doesn't move the media.

Any idea what parts I should look at or replace. I have tons of parts off another FJ-50 that I can try putting in this FJ-50 to make it work.

Thanks for your reply.

Anthony Sansone
sales@graphicsphere.net
813-215-1253

P.S. Call or email me if you want to diagnose my Roland FJ-50. I have given support help to many others on here before about my Roland FJ-50 but now I need someone to tell me what direction to go in with broken media pinch rollers that don't move anymore.

Ragnabrok

The feed motor is encoded, so if it trying to move forward or backwards and doesn't, it'd trigger some type of motor error. I'd guess that the motor is turning, but is not attached to the gear, or the gear has broken off the grit roller shaft. I think the feed motor is behind the covers on the left side, i'd hold down or up arrows and look to see if the motor is turning or not.

graphicsphere

OK I remember now I removed the printing platen covers when I installed the front and rear heaters underneath there so maybe I can get to the grit roller's shaft from there.

Do you know what covers I should remove on the Roland FJ-50 to get to the motor and the gear driving the grit roller's shaft?

One other thing is that when I load the material and lower the pinch rollers and hit the setup media button, the media moves forward just a tiny bit but doesn't actually get into the normal setup position. Once setup media is finished and I press the up and down arrows on the control panel, the fans and motor underneath sound like there spinning but the media doesn't move forward or in reverse.

I won't know anymore until I check under the hood first.

graphicsphere

Screw Holding Gear to Shaft Loose

Found the reason why my grit roller wasn't moving and wasn't getting a motor error.

It was a loose screw that holds the gear to the shaft and had to be tightened. To fix I took the left side cover off underneath the pinch roller lever (handle) and saw where the feed motor turns the gear and shaft to the grit rollers.

Thanks for your suggestion that helped!