• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flat Bed Or 104" Grand Format Machine

NYPP

Trying to expand into Grand Format Printing. Currently have a Roland 64" Eco Solvent Printer but looking into either a flat bed or a Seiko 104" Grand Format Machine. Or even a vutech or a larger Roland. Any suggestions and hands on experience and reviews for any grand format machine, flat bed etc.
Basically trying to decide what machine to get, costs etc.
Thank you

printhog

Trying to expand into Grand Format Printing. Currently have a Roland 64" Eco Solvent Printer but looking into either a flat bed or a Seiko 104" Grand Format Machine. Or even a vutech or a larger Roland. Any suggestions and hands on experience and reviews for any grand format machine, flat bed etc.
Basically trying to decide what machine to get, costs etc.
Thank you
Are you looking new or used?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

printhog

If you're going to grand format then go all in to either 5 meter or at least 3 meter. Reason is that both sizes allow multiple rolls to be printed simultaneously. The 104" format just doesn't do that. The bigger machines are lower cost to run and maintain. Faster But pricier.

For a medium sized shop I'd recommend a flat bed that you can pair with a CNC router equipped with positioning software. You can get a lot of demand for cut to shape graphics. The 104" roll to roll can't do that.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Depends on your work demand and if you want to get into printing directly onto ridged stock.

Which flatbed? Do you plan to use the Roll to roll option on the flatbed? i ask this because some require the material to go from one side to the other of the flatbed and some have the rollers on 1 side. Meaning you can easily switch from roll to flatbed with out doing anything Vs taking the whole roll off.

NYPP

Depends on your work demand and if you want to get into printing directly onto ridged stock.

Which flatbed? Do you plan to use the Roll to roll option on the flatbed? i ask this because some require the material to go from one side to the other of the flatbed and some have the rollers on 1 side. Meaning you can easily switch from roll to flatbed with out doing anything Vs taking the whole roll off.
Hi, it depends. We are still exploring all options. Currently we are a mid volume shop. Receiving more calls for oversized prints, step and repeats and so on. not too much for printing directly on substrates or to shape. Currently outsourcing but hate being at the mercy of others with no control over turn around or quality.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Hi, it depends. We are still exploring all options. Currently we are a mid volume shop. Receiving more calls for oversized prints, step and repeats and so on. not too much for printing directly on substrates or to shape. Currently outsourcing but hate being at the mercy of others with no control over turn around or quality.

Do some good research. The Oce Arizona can fit 2.5m wide rolls on it. and doesn't need to go over the bed.
Flatbeds like the Swissqprint. have the media go over the flatbed, but can take 3.2m rolls. There's a trade off.

printhog

For volume print operations, you need at least 3 meter You can run 2 rolls of 54" side by side. Unless the 104" can do that you're only getting the benefit of bigger banners. That seems limiting to me over time. I see a lot of that size used at my broker's website, not moving. The 3 meter machine are quickly bought up. I think that speaks to the demand of that format.

To get a good take on both contact Scott at spbrokerage.com. He's an expert in used grand format equipment and can steer you to the right direction most likely.