• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flat cutout graphic mounted to flexible face sign

signbrad

We plan to replicate the sign shown in the first three pictures. The flat cutout aluminum graphic is mounted in front of the flexible face, studs passing from the back of the cabinet through holes cut in the face. We are trying to figure out what the grommet-looking things are that the fabricator used on the holes where the studs pass through the face.
The second photo shows the detail of the stud passing through the face.

Anyone done this before?

Brad in Kansas City
pic 03.png
pic 04.png

signbrad

Looks like he welded on an elevator bolt.

The white area is a flexible fabric face with holes in it to allow studs to pass through. Some type of grommet appears to be glued together on either side of the fabric to protect the edges of the fabric from the metal parts. The aluminum cutout graphic appears to have aluminum tube welded to the backside. The tube slips over the stud and is secured by set screws. The cutout aluminum graphic does not touch the white flexible face.
Here is a closeup of the attachment point.
pic 06.png

Johnny Best

Nylon washers, holds up better than acrylic, metal or pvc. Easier to get at different thickness and diameters. But your just wondering if anybody has seen this set up before or your looking to purchase some washers as they have.

signbrad

Nylon washers, holds up better than acrylic, metal or pvc. Easier to get at different thickness and diameters. But your just wondering if anybody has seen this set up before or your looking to purchase some washers as they have.

Both, Johnny.
I was hoping someone would say, "Oh, that's a No.6 nylon snap-together thingy. They use them on sailboats all the time."
I am also curious if anybody has done this before, that is, mount an aluminum cutout in front of a flex face on studs that poke through the face, and then maybe say,"Yeah, it works pretty good," or..."Don't do it. You'll be so sorry."
One of our installers wants to go partially disassemble the thing and reverse engineer it, which I think is an excellent plan ( It's how some countries have built fighter jets).

Johnny Best

They have snap together white grommets. That is probably what you are looking for.
Been awhile since I have been around awning shops but remember using them but not the size or material. Google snap together grommets and see what pops up.
Looks like it would be easy to fabricate.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Almost looks like the peices that drop out of a 1" or 2" drill bit. I was drilling large holes out of poly to fit aluminum handles on a food trailer and it looks like what was left over in the drillbit

Marlene

I think taking it apart to see how it fits together/works is a good idea.

Do you know who made the original sign?

Rocco G

Just wondering how/if this panned out. I was reading another thread and this popped up at the bottom under similar threads.

Btw i did a google search of "grommets for nylon sails" and some nearly identical "snap" grommets popped up as the 2nd or 3rd item, used for fabric.

This jogged my memory. Many moons ago we did something similar but on a much smaller scale - aluminum fco`s stud mounted off an awning. We used long 1/4" studs and small brass banner grommets. This looks like a nice clean method.

Pitzu

An idea would be the Universal Metal Stud Grommet

Also, another one would be Curtain Snap-on Grommets

Last edited: