• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flatbed conversion: Has it ever been attempted?

Jumpshoutmedia

After getting into 3D printing and learning about how 3D printers, inkjets, routers, etc are all very similar in how they function, the thought came to me..

My Roland XC540 is basically 95% of a flatbed printer, and (in very over-simplified terms) the only fundamental difference is that conventional ink jets advance roll-stock using grit/pressure rollers.. driven by a stepper motor, whereas flatbed printers have to either travel over the media, or the media has to travel beneath the printer, and this motion is also driven by stepper motors (using a belt, leadscrew, or other similar methods).

So my crazy idea was, why cant a conventional inkjet be made to accommodate flat, rigid, sheet stock by coming up with a means of transporting the stock through the printer while at the same time allowing it to remain straight and well supported on both sides of the printer by some sort of "bed"?

In basic terms, my idea would go something like the following..

Build a bed that's the height of the printers platen (spelling). The front section of bed could be built like a conveyor belt, driven by a set of sprockets and a chain.

The media could be firmly attached to the belt at the end that's furthest from the printer.

Then the belts drive motor could be plugged into the printer where the grit rollers motor usually plugs in (considering you've made sure the electronics aspects are compatible, and the final movement of the media matches the stock movement (1mm = 1mm).

So as the printer tells the stepper to advance the media, instead of turning the grit rollers, it advances the bed/conveyor.

If the conveyor motor is strong enough, it should be able to move flat sheet media backwards and forwards to match the printers demands for media movement, and theoretically, the printer wouldn't know the difference.

Now I know this all sounds good on paper, and there's likely a lot more to it, but I'm just curious if any of you guys who might have more advanced experience working with stepper motorsa and inkjet kinematics could weigh in here and let me know if this even sounds feasible, and if there are any obvious reasons why it wouldn't be possible.

One thing I just thought of for instance is, can you control things like the acceleration, feedrate, jerk, etc for this one axis anywhere on a stock, unmodified inkjet (Like a Roland XC540)? Because that's one setting that I would think you might need to slow down, so the conveyer motor isn't trying to launch a full 4x10' sheet of alumalite through the printer as if it were a roll of sign vinyl.

So, any thoughts?

shoresigns

Not my area of expertise, but wouldn't it make more sense for the bed to be stationary and the printer to move along it? It would require 1/2 the floor space that way.

Also, I don't think the eco-sol ink in your Roland is going to stick to most rigid substrates like acrylic, coro, sintra, etc.

equippaint

Not my area of expertise, but wouldn't it make more sense for the bed to be stationary and the printer to move along it? It would require 1/2 the floor space that way.

Also, I don't think the eco-sol ink in your Roland is going to stick to most rigid substrates like acrylic, coro, sintra, etc.
Hybrid flatbeds are this. If eco-sol wont work what about the new mimaki ucjv? It's under 20k. Vac would probably need some beefing up

signman315

Signmaker
So a hybrid flatbed with roll-to-roll ink set....soooo it would be an HP R2000. Good idea, they've already done the work for you though :)

netsol

you're a wise man, jumpshoutmedia,
for over a year, i have expressed my intention to "slice one of my rolands like i am making a submarine sandwich" and fabricate a micrometer like mechamism to adjust the gap so i can feed at least 5/8" media

there was s compsny with sn alcohol based ink that would print on aluminum...
so not sure if eco sol is the way to go

FrankW

Some years ago that kind of printers based on Rolands can be seen from several mostly little manufacturers, mostly moving the printer over a table. Roland themaelves have done it with the lej640ft.

https://www.rolanddga.com/products/printers/versauv-lej-640ft-flatbed-uv-printer

Eco-Solvent wont work on most rigid media, the printer needs to be converted to UV-Ink. And that cant be done by filling in different ink only, it needs curing lamps at the print head, and ink tubes and dampers which holds the ink away from UV-light. And feeding the print unit over the table in needed accuracy could be difficult too.