• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

flatbed cutter vs. router

Signed Out

Looking to bring in either a cnc router or flatbed cutter in about 1 year. Will probably got the shopbot route in the long run. But am very intrigued by the summa F series flatbed cutters. Does anybody actually have one? Can you do any 3d routering with it?

Also wondering how easy/expensive it is to upgrade a shopbot with an optical eye or CAM tech?

letterman7

It's either one or the other. You can't do 3D with a flatbed cutter. You can, however, purchase swivel knives for routers and go that route. I've experimented with them for heavier materials (magnetic) and had so-so results, but I didn't fully engage the programming to accommodate knife offsets and pressures. I have a SB and love it, but I don't think they offer an optical eye for lining things up. You should call and ask... they are always adding stuff to their lineup.

Brink

It's either one or the other. You can't do 3D with a flatbed cutter. You can, however, purchase swivel knives for routers and go that route. I've experimented with them for heavier materials (magnetic) and had so-so results, but I didn't fully engage the programming to accommodate knife offsets and pressures. I have a SB and love it, but I don't think they offer an optical eye for lining things up. You should call and ask... they are always adding stuff to their lineup.

Actually the Summa F series does do both.

[video=youtube;mRCIsINvujQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRCIsINvujQ[/video]

letterman7

Do you have one or ever use one? It claims 3D routeing but also only has 2" z axis travel (I think) which doesn't seem like much. Plus I haven't found a good promo video of it doing any significant 3D routeing. But I'm hoping that I'm wrong on this.

I don't see any 3D capabilities on the Summa, just straightforward 2D routing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F1O1W95KqY Even on the Summa website it says 'milling of most solid boards in the graphics industry' - no mention of 3D.

gnemmas

I don't see any 3D capabilities on the Summa, just straightforward 2D routing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F1O1W95KqY Even on the Summa website it says 'milling of most solid boards in the graphics industry' - no mention of 3D.

You are correct. The name is Flatbed Cutter, not Router.

We just got delivered one and installing tomorrow with swivel and tangential knife tools. For additional $10,000, there is a router tool attachment that can "cut" PVC, aluminum board.

Signed Out

You are correct. The name is Flatbed Cutter, not Router.

We just got delivered one and installing tomorrow with swivel and tangential knife tools. For additional $10,000, there is a router tool attachment that can "cut" PVC, aluminum board.

Ahh that's what got me, the router tool. I thought they were suggesting 3D capability. I wonder if you can do some simple v-groove with it on 1" or thinner substrate?

FatCat

Been researching these for the past couple of months as well, here are my findings;

1. IMHO - flatbed cutters (Zund, Esko, Summa...etc) are one tool - and CNC routers are another. While both share some similarities and some similar functions each one has their own strengths and weaknesses and there is no ONE-SIZE-FITS-ALL option...you'll have to make a choice based on your wants/needs.

2. Flatbed cutters (Zund, Esko, Summa...etc) typically have a belt feed mechanism and drag feet that allows you to cut and finish roll stock (Poster, banner, vinyl, etc.) and automatically pull more from the roll with drag feet, whereas most CNC tables do not have this feature. (I think Multicam has the only one I've seen...) This makes them more suited for a digital print/sign shop that handles a lot of printing items that need finished. While it can "route" and has limited 3D routing capabilities, it really doesn't compare to a true CNC router's capabilities. See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D5Imikbf38

3. CNC Routers are for cutting parts/letters/dimensional signs in almost any material. Much more robust in build and higher power and strength for milling harder materials like aluminum, etc. They can be used as a drag knife cutter, but since most only have a fixed table, you would have to manually place each sheet of material or foam/PVC on the router to cut that way.

Just my .02¢

Christian @ 2CT Media

There are true hybrids out there like the Colex Sharpcut, the MCT Digital, and the Multicast Digital Express.

The thing that is most important is to figure out what kind of cutting you want to do. We are settling on a flatbed cutter to start with and then will add 3D routing capabilities later as that side grows for us.