• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flatbed ink that has a gloss finish?

Jack Knight1979

I print a lot of clear materials, so I need spot white. HP just sent me samples of their FB550. Nice machine, but looking for something with a gloss finish. Are there any flatbed machines that run spot white that have a gloss ink?

Turnergraphics

The lamps can be shuttered to give the ink droplet a little time to spread before drying and this adds a little gloss but no, you don't get a true glossy look. I think you'll need a clear top coat to add gloss to uv prints. I have no experience with other flatbeds but I bet solvent or latex would be glossier.

DerbyCitySignGuy

I don't know of any printers or inks that have a gloss finish on the ink, but I do know that several companies have the option of a varnish channel.

swissQprint has the option on several printers and VUTEk has a couple printers that offer a clear varnish.

growler

I have spot varnish on my 460GT. A few things to consider.

Your print environment needs to be immaculate and dust free for it to work well. Any tiny tiny tiny bit dust that lands on the wet layer leads to imperfections that are really visible!
Your print time will jump hugely using varnish, first pass is a light layer with lamps, 2nd is a wet layer with no lamps, 3rd is lamps only, so your standard print takes 4 times longer!
It is only really effective for doing small spot areas, not designed for doing a large or complete flood coat.

If I was buying again I would probably avoid varnish unless you know you have a good flow of work to use it and a great print room to run the machine in!