• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flatbed? UV? VERY Odd Contract, Not sure what equipment to use.

Dervish1

I'm a new member, and don't like to post questions when this site is so full of learning materials. The expertise at this site is staggering, and for that I'm very grateful. I've been reading so many different threads to understand and learn about direct printing, but have not been able to find anything that is similar to my very specific situation.

My problem is that I am at a complete loss as to what equipment is needed for a series of ongoing projects, as well as how to clearly describe the project to you in a way that is understandable.
Here I go -

The substrate is provided by the client.
Size is similar to small index card (approx. 3x5”), made of bonded layers of smooth white bristol board.

Thickness of bristol board is either .25” or .75” high.
Each card has a pre-printed frame on the front. Back of card is pre-printed, for student to complete their name & class information (and teacher to later write down class grade received).

My job is to direct print a high quality image of each student
within each card frame “blank”. Each class consists of about 25 students,
there are 6 classes, so approximately 150 cards every few months, per school.

Images must be photo quality, but must be matte (no gloss), as the students are encouraged to apply make-up to their photos (cosmetology students).

These small images must be placed exactly in the frame.

My questions:

1. Given the thickness of substrate (anything up to .75”), is a flatbed the only option? A
    flatbed with jig would definitely hold the card in
    place for exact image placement.
  2. Would a UV flatbed give the highest (clearest) quality of detail?
    Print speed is not a priority, but clear detail is a must.
  3. I am looking at the Roland LEF-12, is there any other printer that
    you would recommend? This will be an ongoing contract, and I'd like to get it right from the beginning.

Thank you, any experienced insight that you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like you've solved your own problem. If you're gearing this towards that one application, you're set. :rock-n-roll:

LeLuni

I'm not sure I understood specifically the quantities you're talking about (how many schools?).
If it is 150 every few months, I'm not sure that justifies the cost of a UV flatbed.
Also, there is a difference between matte and a matte that is absorbent. Make sure you clarify that with the client. I think UV inks are typically gloss (I could be wrong) and that a matte varnish can be applied. I think this would make them non-absorbent and resistant to staining/coloring with makeup.
You could potentially print the entire image side, including the frame, on a coated matte adhesive vinyl (just from playing around, I know that coated aqueous media takes watercolors beautifully). Then you would need to cut out and apply each by hand, which would be quite laborious.

CanuckSigns

I agree, this sounds to me like one of those projects that will never get off the ground, the labour involved will outweigh the cost that this person "thinks" these will be worth guaranteed, I'm betting they think this should cost them a buck each.

I'm not sure I understood specifically the quantities you're talking about (how many schools?).
If it is 150 every few months, I'm not sure that justifies the cost of a UV flatbed.
Also, there is a difference between matte and a matte that is absorbent. Make sure you clarify that with the client. I think UV inks are typically gloss (I could be wrong) and that a matte varnish can be applied. I think this would make them non-absorbent and resistant to staining/coloring with makeup.
You could potentially print the entire image side, including the frame, on a coated matte adhesive vinyl (just from playing around, I know that coated aqueous media takes watercolors beautifully). Then you would need to cut out and apply each by hand, which would be quite laborious.

the graphics co

Allowing the client to provide the materials puts you in a bad spot because you are forced to bend the manufacturing process to their specific need. You will end up spending a lot more money in reprints and waste than if you convinced them to purchase the whole product through you. If you produced the whole thing you could print the picture, border and backside information in two steps and then send it to the routing table to cut.

On another note, how are you going to get the cards to stay on the flatbed table in place while the printer is running? Are you going to tape them down individually? Will tape tear the face of the card stock off?