• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fletcher FSC or KeenCut SteelTrak?

bigwow

In the market for one of these - but have searched the forums and found a few people dissatisfied with the FSC for cutting aluminum composites - distorting the boards etc. The unit would be used for foamcore, gator, sintra, low weight polycard but mostly for aluminum composites (dibond, epanel etc) - anyone have any 'real world' experience or even better, have used both units? Regardless of which unit you purchsed, would you buy it again?

x2chris7x

We have the KeenCut... It works pretty good. There are different attachments you can get for cutting different materials. It can cause some warping/bending of composite aluminum depending how the sheet is loaded/how much material you're cutting off, but its not terrible and can be avoided in most cases.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Only have experience with Fletcher, and never had good luck with Dibond or other ACM. Most of that I'll just cut with panel saw or table saw.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We have both and only 6mm or higher with a solid core gives us a problem on the Fletcher. The Keen is pretty much just for thinner stuff like up to 3mm and vinyl and just sheet stock.

Sometimes we get a slight curve in some of the thinner metals, but nothing we can't really deal with.

bigwow

Cheers people, appreciate your feedback - would only be cutting composites up to 3mm. Seems very inconsistent with the FSC, some owners have no issues cutting ACM, others have problems, some to such a degree they no longer use the cutter for ACM. At the moment I'm kind of leaning toward the SteelTrak, although a little more $.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
No issues with the SteelTrak here... just make sure it's calibrated/levelled properly so you get square cuts.
We do 3mm ACM on it all the time (along with a bit of PVC sheeting which it does very well with also).

astraios

We compared both and choose KeenCut SteelTrak as it is much sturdier cutter than FSC (just compare construction of both cutters if you can check them live).

We cut dibond with it but you need to be aware of few annoyances - it bends part which isn't clamped and it curves an edge when cutting (you don't get a sharp edge like with saw but this can also be a plus).

Split76

I bought my steeltrak .. 3 years ago maybe.. it's a must have :) .. i have evolution also. both are very good cutters. 3000mm cutter for AMC would be nice.

Dennis Schaub

I have not been impressed with our Fletcher FSC. I would go a different route if I go do it again. The hold down arm on ours has had all kinds of issues and Fletcher hasn't been real helpful. As you mentioned it has a tendency to warp some materials as well.

Cyclone Print

No issues with the SteelTrak here... just make sure it's calibrated/levelled properly so you get square cuts.
We do 3mm ACM on it all the time (along with a bit of PVC sheeting which it does very well with also).

Do you have any issues with the corners not cutting an exact 90 degrees? We get little dags on the corners. It's as if the blade wheels don't go far enough past the material (if that makes sense). I have squared the unit up but don't know if anyone else has the same issue. It's alright for large, high mounted signage but we do small signs that people will notice this more on.