• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flex Face question

Enola

I have a question on flex face sign cabinets.
A customer contacted us with some specific requests for a new electrical sign.
Size is 20 ft x 24" high to fill a specific area across the front of their building.
She has specifically requested we do a flex face.

I'm uncomfortable with quoting a flex face for a couple reasons. Top of that list is, I don't really
know how to service or open the cabinet to install on the wall. I'm sure its not rocket science, but I've
only ever worked on one flex face and it had a hinge system. Is this typical?

Being 24" tall, I would say this is a pretty small sign. I wouldn't think it warranted a flex face.
The face is not something they plan to change out on a regular basis.

So tell me.
What is the most common type of flex face retainer, and how to access the inside of the cabinet?

visual800

sounds like overkill to me. We need to see a pic of the building others may have better ideas.

I doubt building a flexface system is what she needs, UNLESS she is going to letter it up and light it up

Enola

I sure appreciate the response fellas, but this isn't my first rodeo.
I sure don't mind admitting that I have limited experience with flex face retainers, although I have been in the sign industry for quite a few years.
My question was about ACCESSING, and the different types of flex face retainers out there.

Signage, giving me a Zoning lesson isn't going to help. By the way, do you think 40 sq.ft is pretty big?

And visual800, I don't know if the customer will "Light It Up" if I can't even get it open *grin*
FYI, it will be a lit sign. Why would you think it wasn't? The word ELECTRICAL in my first post didn't give it away?
I am blonde, but I'm not THAT blonde.

Can someone now, please warn me about playing with electricity, being properly trained, and lecture me about liability, having the proper license and insurance, along with the possibilities of breaking a nail while using my buchanan splice tool???

*Sigh*

Last edited:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
We have a live one here!

We have no idea who you are or what type of experience so occasionally we may ask or say dumb things...

I only design now but I have fabricated and installed my share of flex systems. My favorite system is signcomp (www.signcomp.com)

The have hinged and bolted systems for the face too access attachments and lighting service. They use clips to retain the flex-face. One of the companies I design for find the clip system very easy for hangouts and hold the face in tight and their service is great

visual800

I am familiar with the large retainer version thats been in use forever, pop retaiers off and remove the bracket. There is a new one out that I see people doing, it has no retainers and looks as so It might be stapeled in and a rubber chmolding place oover staples like a vinyl awning would be done, very clean look with no clunky retainers.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Why not just quote them poly or something and just tell them that's what you can do for that size?

I've seen sometimes people request quotes for odd signs and you can price it high because it's not the most economical request. Then later you'll see that sign built the way you wanted to do it or maybe totally different because someone corrected them.

Hell, a month from now after you quote you may drive by and he has a banner hanging from his building. lol, gotta love those.

Enola

We have a live one here!

We have no idea who you are or what type of experience so occasionally we may ask or say dumb things...

I only design now but I have fabricated and installed my share of flex systems. My favorite system is signcomp (www.signcomp.com)

The have hinged and bolted systems for the face too access attachments and lighting service. They use clips to retain the flex-face. One of the companies I design for find the clip system very easy for hangouts and hold the face in tight and their service is great

A live one!!?? You have no idea Rick.
PS Thanks for the helpful reply. From what I've read of your post, "helpful" is a good description for you.

Why not just quote them poly or something and just tell them that's what you can do for that size?

I've seen sometimes people request quotes for odd signs and you can price it high because it's not the most economical request. Then later you'll see that sign built the way you wanted to do it or maybe totally different because someone corrected them.

Hell, a month from now after you quote you may drive by and he has a banner hanging from his building. lol, gotta love those.

That is so "SPOT ON" on all aspects. Not your first Rodeo either.

"Whatever Enola wants, Enola gets"
Me on vocals with Arlo backing me on the 12 string he has for sale.

Whatever Enola wants, Enola gets? Ya, whats the problem??? ;)
Sticking with that theme Johnny, post up a youtube video of those vocals of yours.

:popcorn:

Johnny Best

album.jpg
If the album sells we will make a video View attachment 129914

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, rather than lecture on all the things you already know, but you can't tell us what's really happening, what is the sense of this thread ?? You evidently can't distinguish between a customer asking incorrect specs on something they JUST heard of and is passing along terminology they don't know..... or you can't figure out how to sell them the correct product. First rodeo or 101st rodeo..... you're the one coming here looking for help and guidance, but you also wanna dictate how we should address you ??

I don't give two sh!ts what color you dye your hair or that you're even female......... without losing your temper and having a frickin hissy fit, just listen to the answers and use the ones you like and discard the ones you don't like...... which will probably be this one, but please refrain from taking your frustrations out on us, huh ??

Not all medicine is sugarcoated.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
It' funny, My 5 year old gets real crabby around noon when its time for nap. If she misses her nap come 6pm she is not even lucid anymore. I'm seeing the same pattern in Gino. You know when you get older you need to start taking naps again.

Enola

It' funny, My 5 year old gets real crabby around noon when its time for nap. If she misses her nap come 6pm she is not even lucid anymore. I'm seeing the same pattern in Gino. You know when you get older you need to start taking naps again.

LOL
Time for his ba-ba

Gino, its ok if you don't know the answer. I see by your post count, you're the guy that has to say something, even if it doesn't pertain to the question at hand. I've actually heard of this. Its called "SignForumOCD". Its a compulsion where the afflicted HAS to see his name appear on every thread. You poor man.

And Johnny
So disappointed in you. I thought I was gonna be impressed with your talent (vocal talent).
I am mysteriously drawn to your picture though.
Thank you.
you have no idea how close you are.;)

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber

Is that even supposed to mean anything ?? It's sad that the Dems allow your kind to multiply. Think long and hard about having anymore. 5 year old. Going to school in a few weeks and can't function without her parents putting her down to get her out of their hair. Now, the schools will hafta deal with yet and other spoiled brat. Thanks alot for the great contribution.

LOL
Time for his ba-ba

Gino, its ok if you don't know the answer. I see by your post count, you're the guy that has to say something, even if it doesn't pertain to the question at hand. I've actually heard of this. Its called "SignForumOCD". Its a compulsion where the afflicted HAS to see his name appear on every thread. You poor man.

And Johnny
So disappointed in you. I thought I was gonna be impressed with your talent (vocal talent).
I am mysteriously drawn to your picture though.
Thank you.
you have no idea how close you are.;)

Know the answer. There was never any really formed question in this thread. You can't do the simplest of things and get bent outta shape when all these people point it out to you. Please, don't pity me, but I do feel sorry that we're leaving another once great industry to such lazy-a$$ed wannabees, like yourself.

Why is it, when someone as raw and dumb as this one, hasta challenge everyone she just came to for help ?? Is there a title for this, like she's labeled things...... or is she really a disgruntled old member, just trying to hide behind a new identity ??

Post count seems to offend her, answers offend her, certain people's talents offend her.......just no pleasing this woman, huh ?? You know what that means..............

Last edited:

Marlene

wow, you really are snarky. your first post made it clear you know nothing about a flex face sign. my advice is to tell the customer the truth that you aren't qualified to do the job. flex face signs are easy. you simply cut thru the face to service.

Enola

wow, you really are snarky. your first post made it clear you know nothing about a flex face sign. my advice is to tell the customer the truth that you aren't qualified to do the job. flex face signs are easy. you simply cut thru the face to service.

So much for spoon feeling.

In my first post I said Being 24" tall, I would say this is a pretty small sign. I wouldn't think it warranted a flex face.
The face is not something they plan to change out on a regular basis.

Tex is the only one that picked up on quoting a poly face.
In all your experience marlene, would you say a flex face cabinet is the way to go?
The 2 hints were, NOT changed out regularly, and 2 ft tall.

another hint (again in all your experience), the flex face cabinet will be double the cost. But I'm sure you knew that already.
So dear, would my customer be further ahead going with you, selling them a flex face sign system?

A little background on myself. While its true, I know very little about flex face extrusion, and I made no bones about that.
I started out working for a national sign manufacturing company. I was basically a peon on the assembly line, which made me
easily replaced. For 3 years my job was to string wire in sign cabinets, all day long. I then spent 14 months going out with the install crew as a gopher (again, easily replaced). The national chains we serviced never used flex face.

Ironically, I got my foot in the door because of my graphics arts degree, which I never got to utilize with them.
Now on my own, I have maintained a good relationship with my former employer. fyi, the referral came from my former boss.

Long story short Marlene, While I don't know much about flex faces (other than the 2 i worked on years ago), I would say I've had
my hands on more electric sign cabinets in 3 years than you have ever. Perhaps I'm wrong? Again, I am not bosting, as my job was not a glorious one, but i may just be more qualified than you think.

Last edited:

Johnny Best

And that folks was the story of how an orphaned child was made to work the line on a national sign company and has moved up to working her way out of slave labor to the glorious job of having their own sign company. You left off the part about not getting any pudding until you eat your meat.