• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flex Face sign help!!!

Silver Star DC

Hello everyone.

I have a customer that has just moved to a new location. They are wanting to add vinyl to a sign that is already on the front of the building. The sign cabinet has a flex face on the front. I've never installed or worked on a flex face sign before, so I have a few questions.

1. Can you install vinyl on a flex face sign?
2. If yes to question 1: Is it easier to install new vinyl with the face on the cabinet?
3. Are the flex face frames easy to remove?

Like I said, I'm new to flex face signs and I'm sure I've missed something, so any advice is very much appreciated. I've attached a picture of the sign for you to look at.

Attachments

• PXL_20210126_194224817.jpg
    PXL_20210126_194224817.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 289

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Hello everyone.

I have a customer that has just moved to a new location. They are wanting to add vinyl to a sign that is already on the front of the building. The sign cabinet has a flex face on the front. I've never installed or worked on a flex face sign before, so I have a few questions.

1. Can you install vinyl on a flex face sign?
2. If yes to question 1: Is it easier to install new vinyl with the face on the cabinet?
3. Are the flex face frames easy to remove?

Like I said, I'm new to flex face signs and I'm sure I've missed something, so any advice is very much appreciated. I've attached a picture of the sign for you to look at.
Yes, install translucent vinyl on it and do it in the field. Just be careful with your xacto!

signbrad

It goes without saying that the flexible face should be thoroughly cleaned. It may look clean but have a layer of grime that is not apparent.

Also, it is important to not forget to squeegee a second time after pulling the premask. This is standard procedure for installing any vinyl, of course, but when the temperature of the translucent film and the substrate are not at the recommended minimum of 60 degrees, the second squeegeeing is important.

Here is from 3M Instruction Bulletin 5.7 for installing translucent vinyl:

"Note: When you remove the premasking tape from a graphic, the pulling force loosens
the adhesive at the edges of the graphic, particularly when the graphic is applied at
or near the minimum application temperature. It is imperative that you resqueegee
the edges after removing the premasking tape."

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/9621O/instruction-bulletin-5-7-application-wet-method.pdf

Brad in Kansas City

Andy D

What size is that sign? It can't be over a 4'x8', right?
Who in hell would use flex face material on a 4'x8'?

Andy D

We had a bunch of bank flex faces with vinyl fail where the vinyl was paneled, but I think that's because they were stretched after
applying the vinyl.