Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flexi 10.5, Windows 7 and a Roland PNC-1000

Discussion in 'Flexi' started by graywoulf, Sep 26, 2012.

1. graywoulf

graywoulf Member

Sep 20, 2009
    I am trying to set up my laptop (Windows 7) to run an old Roland PNC-1000 cutter using Flexi PRO 10.5 via an USB to Parallel cable. No luck yet getting the two to communicate. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tags:
  2. CS-SignSupply

CS-SignSupply Very Active Member

What, if any, errors are you receiving?

3. graywoulf

graywoulf Member

Sep 20, 2009
    No error messages. In the Production Manager setup, I have tried every option available (Com 1-8, LPT 1,2,3 and USB settings) as far as the connection setup goes but my PNC-1000 just does not seem to want to communicate with Flexi. Ther were two settings that made the printer start up but it was just printing jibberish such as... A119.765:pR:pD.0.175.882.0.0.258.167 Etc. By the way, do you have any idea where I could download a copy of the PNC-1000 manual?

Thanks for your help Bobby!

4. CS-SignSupply

On a service call and will try to help in a bit

5. CS-SignSupply

What port was it on when the cutter responded?

As for the gibberish, I believe there is a MODE 1 / MODE 2 option in the command menu on the cutter.

6. genericname

genericname Active Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Canada
    Do you have a USB or old parallel dongle for Flexi? The Hasp drivers fall short of letting you use the parallel dongle in Win7.

7. CS-SignSupply

If you upgrade to 10 from whatever version you have, you would receive a new USB dongle for version 10.

8. genericname

genericname Active Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Canada
    Ah! Figured as much, though I thought it possible that there'd be some carry-over. Dropped Flexi for Onyx ages ago, so I wasn't aware of the current setup.

9. graywoulf

graywoulf Member

Sep 20, 2009
    WOW! Thanks guys for the much needed help. The only ports that respond are the Roland USB001 port and the USB_PRINTER_0 port. I had not tried "Mode 2" and I am using the USB "SafeNet Sentinel dongle that came with my LXI software I bought back in 2009. I am using FLexiSIGN PRO 10.5 which I acquired via being a beta tester so I was not issued a new dongle. I thought that the HASP drivers were already updated but I have no way to tell. Bobby I tried to call you on your service line but it was busy but I will try again. Thanks again for all of the help.

10. graywoulf

graywoulf Member

Sep 20, 2009
    WOOHOO!!! Success!!

Thanks Bobby!!! You are the man. :U Rock: Switched to "MODE 2" using the "ROLAND USB001" connection setting and it now works. Like I always say..."Endeavor To Persevere". Thanks for everybody's help again!!!!!

11. CS-SignSupply

Good to hear all is good.

12. frankstrong

frankstrong New Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Hello Bobby, I recently purchased a Roland PNC900. I am presently running it from windows XP using a parallel cable but was wondering if I could set it up for USB.
    I'm using FlexiSIGN-Pro 8.1v1

13. CS-SignSupply

14. Jim Doggett

Jim Doggett Very Active Member

Feb 17, 2008
    When using a USB port emulator, the trick is in getting the port state settings properly matched to the cutter's default, since the USB is not really USB, but merely a emulating a Centronics Parallel port. Calling Roland should get you to someone who can tell you the correct settings.

15. CS-SignSupply

Good point Jim while CS Sign Supply would also supply these settings and support, if the adapter is purchased from us.