• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi 8.6 v2 stopped connecting to internet..

waximoff

About a week ago, A message, saying I had 14 days to connect my flexi to the internet to verify it, started popping up. I just closed the box and continued to use flexi as normal, mind you, I'm connected the whole time.
Then a couple days ago, A new error box starting popping up saying "Invalid web server request" I would just close the box and use flexi as normal...

Today however, When I came in and opened flexi up, The web server error box popped up and stops flexi from opening altogether.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? I need to get it open asap!

Thanks!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Have you changed anything on the computer recently? It could be a firewall or virus program blocking the connection.

waximoff

Have you changed anything on the computer recently? It could be a firewall or virus program blocking the connection.

I haven't, This is my print computer that I don't use for anything else.. I disabled the firewall, even though the same settings have been working for years, but nothing changed. Thanks for the idea though!

waximoff

When I double click the flexi icon to open the program, you can see little blue boxes pop up in the lower right of my screen.. saying "connecting to server". It seems like the program is getting out but being rejected by Sai servers.

waximoff

So I just got off the phone with Sai. The customer support guy was very helpful and told me that their softkey server is down.. Apparently, Sai will send out a temp dongle to override the issue but it looks like its going to make all older versions obsolete. Pretty infuriating..

Rodan68

This is the reply I got:
Thank you for writing into SA International Flexi software. We apologize for the inconveniences you have had with the soft key server. This is an older technology. We have been working really hard to find a solution but have not had success. The parts needed can no longer be purchased because of the age of the product. While this has been a difficult decision, we will no longer be able to support soft key customers.
We understand this can be frustrating. We have tried to come up with options to help you update your software to the latest version at deeply discounted rates. If this is something you are interested in discussing these options, please contact me at 801-508-6041 or aprilm@thinksai.com.
It sounds like I'll have to update the software or find something new. They are no longer giving out dongles.

Jburns

600.00 for version 12 from 8.6??
I understand your frustration, but that is a very very good price for a giant jump in upgrade

Last edited:

SignBurst PCs

600.00 for version 12 from 8.6??
I understand your frustration, but that is a very very good price for a giant jump in upgrade

I agree and completely understand not liking to have to upgrade. But, to get that kind of pricing on an upgrade is a pretty decent offer. In all honesty, any users still holding onto legacy software that doesn't run on modern operating systems are on borrowed time. Eventually, finding systems that can run older software is going to be very difficult. That time is coming very soon.

Rodan68

I don't really use the design and print functions anymore, just the vinyl cutting options.
So $600 for a vinyl cutting software seems pretty steep to me.
Any suggestions on a vinyl cutting program that can read crop marks for print and cut?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I don't really use the design and print functions anymore, just the vinyl cutting options.
So $600 for a vinyl cutting software seems pretty steep to me.
Any suggestions on a vinyl cutting program that can read crop marks for print and cut?
I looked at your equipment list and you have a Graphtec & Illustrator.
You can download the cutting apps for your plotter from Graphtec. They have cutting plug-ins for Illustrator and a stand alone design and cutting app that are free.
There is no need to spend on Flexi unless you need to open your old files. If you have a bunch you think you will need get a one month subscription - use it to open and save out all your needed files in eps format so they can be opened by illy or the graphtec aps.
The free stuff works fine. I have Flexi 8.6 and the mutoh v12 version - I cut from Corel and Illustrator - just use Flexi to print.

wayne k
guam usa

kenjan61

all, I just had issues with my old version of Flexi Print & Cut 8.5v1. as it turns out the server equipment at SAI has been shut down due to age. The support agent explained that they no long have a way for the old internet verification to connect and allow your expensive (at the time) software to run. basically rendered useless. however they do have other avenues, buy new software, join the cloud service or they offer a doogle/hardkey $100.00 plus tax if you have all of your proper information. got mine in just a couple days and back up and running.
contact below if you want your old stuff to work
SAI
Joe Barlow 801.207.7822
JoeB@ThinkSai.com

signmeup

Keerist! I'm a victim of this sham too! I just got off the phone from ordering a new dongle key that doesn't require being connected to the internet so it can check in with the server they shut down. Not terribly impressed that a system designed to protect them is inconveniencing me... because they didn't keep up their equipment. Plus I fought with the frikkin dongle for hours and hours trying to get it to work... apparently with absolutely no hope of success. (They had all the info needed to contact us about this shut down but didn't.) Then they have the temerity to charge us for the cure!

In the mean time I'm using an ancient computer with XP loaded on it to run my plotter... with FlexiStarter and the dongle it came with.(no internet connection needed on that one) Thinking back, I had to buy a new version of Flexi and this now defunct dongle when I upgraded to a Windows 7 computer. Progress.

When all software goes subscription you realize they will have absolute power over whether we can run our machines... or not. Scary stuff.

Adrian

WildWestDesigns

Keerist! I'm a victim of this sham too! I just got off the phone from ordering a new dongle key that doesn't require being connected to the internet so it can check in with the server they shut down. Not terribly impressed that a system designed to protect them is inconveniencing me... because they didn't keep up their equipment.

DRM (essentially what it is) of any kind is going to be an inconvenience to end users. Just the way that it is.

Plus I fought with the frikkin dongle for hours and hours trying to get it to work... apparently with absolutely no hope of success. (They had all the info needed to contact us about this shut down but didn't.)

Driver issue? That is usually been the cause of my issues when I was running dongle software.

Then they have the temerity to charge us for the cure!

Wonderful world of closed source software to where you only paying for the privilege to use it.

One thing that I have to wonder is if they will continue to do this after something may have happened to the dongle later on down the road.

I've always had to deal with software that used dongles and after so long, they didn't even replace the dongles. Doesn't matter if you could show proof of having a valid license or not. Upgrade or go elsewhere and this is really expensive software.

In the mean time I'm using an ancient computer with XP loaded on it to run my plotter... with FlexiStarter and the dongle it came with.(no internet connection needed on that one) Thinking back, I had to buy a new version of Flexi and this now defunct dongle when I upgraded to a Windows 7 computer. Progress.

One thing that I do if I'm needing legacy software that requires legacy OSs, I'll VM it. That way the box and the host OS can be modern and I don't have to worry about keeping old computers running (which at some point is going to be cost prohibitive).

It does require having a beefier computer then what my ordinarily be needed for the same type of workflow, but that is an option.

When all software goes subscription you realize they will have absolute power over whether we can run our machines... or not. Scary stuff.

It is very scary. Imagine though if the OS becomes subscription as well? Something that MS already does for their enterprise customers. While I don't see the exact same type of subscription for end users, I could easily see it be on certain modules. Want a module for a better gaming experience or what a module that helps with graphic intensive content creation software?

I can see stuff like that being subscription for end users, but it's quite possible that they do the same thing as they do with their business customers.

Alot of people are tied into a certain platform and that gives a certain amount of power in how they do things.