• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

flexi and graphtec 5100 help!!!

brdss

OK, noob here and just trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. My set up:

Mimaki j33-160, illustrator, flexi 8.6, Graphtec 5100 hooked up by USB

Problem is this:

When I print out a file and use illustrator (with the graphtec plug in) to send it to the 5100, it waits for me to align the head to the registration marks. I align it, and it cuts fine.

When I try to run a job using flexi, no matter what I do, it outomatically just starts cutting and can't get it to pull up the "Place the pen/knife to the mark"

Now, the book says make sure to make sure that I use a serial cable as the usb connection only support automatic mark detection.

My question is, since my new computer does not have a serial port, am I out of luck using Flexi to send the job to the cutter?

tooth63

Was the file created in illustrator with the contour? It may be that Flexi is seeing the contour as just a regular cut instead of a contour. I don't have any problems using USB with my Graphtec FC 8000 may be different on 5100 but I don't think thats the issue.

brdss

I am only sending the cut file layer of the eps file to the graphtec.

Mike, where would I check to stop it from automatically starting and not waiting to align to the registration marks? Looked everywhere, but unable to find any setting change that makes a difference.

I know I can always just use illustrator to cut it, but would like to ba able to use the flexi!

Grrrrr! Losing what little hair I have left! LOL

tooth63

If its not the contour color it will see it as just cut color. Another thing if you use the cut/plot dialog it won't see it as a contour job. Use the rip/print dialog and select send contour job only.

brdss

Maybe it is because I am so new at this, but I do not have a problem cutting, it is just that it does not add the extra step needed to align to the registration marks BEFORE it starts cutting. I can not find out where to let Flexi know it has to align to the registration marks before it starts cutting. In other words, to let it know it is not just cutting straight vinyl.

I know it is probably something I am doing wrong, because it finds the registration marks using illustrator just fine.

Edit: I tried going at it through the rip/print dialog, as well as every other way I can think of, no luck. Just starts cutting the pattern wherever the head is aligned.