• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi and seamless texture tiles???

Graphics2u

I'm trying to lay out a a design using some seamless textures. But when I align them side by side there is a slight white or transparent line on the right edge of the bitmaps in Flexi. What's deal with this and is there any way to avoid that.

The same thing is there when I crop and image in Flexi. So lets say I want to layer one image on top of another there will be a small white line on the right hand edge of the bitmap.

Any ideas??

Jim Doggett

You have Photoshop; I'd use it and then flatten>save>import. Using the fill>pattern>custom>new pattern lets you add tiles to Photoshop and then fill any size space you wish.

Best,

Jim

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I'm trying to lay out a a design using some seamless textures. But when I align them side by side there is a slight white or transparent line on the right edge of the bitmaps in Flexi. What's deal with this and is there any way to avoid that.

The same thing is there when I crop and image in Flexi. So lets say I want to layer one image on top of another there will be a small white line on the right hand edge of the bitmap.

Any ideas??

I've discussed this with SAi and the issue is a display problem only. Printing should line up correctly and there should be no gaps or white lines.

While I agree with Jim that Photoshop is a preferable program to do your tiling in, Flexi is quite up to the task by either using Step and Repeat or converting your seamless tiles into pattern fills. Flexi includes scaling controls for pattern fills as well which can be very handy. The one caveat to creating pattern fills in Flexi is that when you close Flexi, close the palette first. Otherwise when you open Flexi the next time, it will include the opening of that palette which will add considerably to your initial launch time.

Graphics2u

You have Photoshop; I'd use it and then flatten>save>import. Using the fill>pattern>custom>new pattern lets you add tiles to Photoshop and then fill any size space you wish.

Best,

Jim

I know Photoshop is far better than Flexi for this, I was just wondering if there was a way to get rid of that little edge Flexi seems to show on bitmaps.

Thanks

Graphics2u

I've discussed this with SAi and the issue is a display problem only. Printing should line up correctly and there should be no gaps or white lines.

While I agree with Jim that Photoshop is a preferable program to do your tiling in, Flexi is quite up to the task by either using Step and Repeat or converting your seamless tiles into pattern fills. Flexi includes scaling controls for pattern fills as well which can be very handy. The one caveat to creating pattern fills in Flexi is that when you close Flexi, close the palette first. Otherwise when you open Flexi the next time, it will include the opening of that palette which will add considerably to your initial launch time.

Thanks Fred, By the way I was using your Tiles from ExpressClipart, which were very nice.

As far as it being a display only issue, I'm not so sure about that. When I printed this the lines showed up on the print also. Not between every tile but randomly. I used the step and repeat function to lay them out. This was a wrap on a race car so it's not super critical, But I'd like to figure it out.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Thanks Fred, By the way I was using your Tiles from ExpressClipart, which were very nice.

As far as it being a display only issue, I'm not so sure about that. When I printed this the lines showed up on the print also. Not between every tile but randomly. I used the step and repeat function to lay them out. This was a wrap on a race car so it's not super critical, But I'd like to figure it out.

You might want to perform a rasterize of all the selected tiles after a step and repeat. That's the Flexi equivalent of flattening.

thewood

I know Photoshop is far better than Flexi for this, I was just wondering if there was a way to get rid of that little edge Flexi seems to show on bitmaps.

Thanks

If you zoom in, is the white edge still visible? In my experience with Flexi, the white edge doesn't show up in the print and goes away if you zoom in.

Graphics2u

what version do you have? if it is 8.5 then send me your contact info and I will send you a link to download the fix.
I have 7.6, so the upgrade will cost some bucks.

I don't agree with some here that the lines don't show in the print. Not all of them will in fact the majority of them won't but randomly some will show up and I've got the print to prove it.

Figured out if I define the tiles as a pattern fill there's no problem even with the display. But that seems pretty memory hunger when I do that.

ncpdfsb

I have 7.6, so the upgrade will cost some bucks.

I don't agree with some here that the lines don't show in the print. Not all of them will in fact the majority of them won't but randomly some will show up and I've got the print to prove it.

Figured out if I define the tiles as a pattern fill there's no problem even with the display. But that seems pretty memory hunger when I do that.

are you using a AURORA GRAPHICS pattern. if so i know you must use adobe illy to seam those tiffs..

bcpop

The lines DO Sometimes print. I just did a golf cart with one of Fred's fills (green snakeskin), and the horizontal lines showed up. The layout was done in Flexi and printed on a Mutoh.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I would recommend to Flexi users that they select all tiles (if doing a step and repeat) and rasterize them using that command in Flexi. This will convert the separate tiles into one larger bitmap image and it should be seamless.

zgraphics

design in photoshop and save as a jpeg and open in flexi and send to print...
do it all the time and works great. Good luck

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
design in photoshop and save as a jpeg and open in flexi and send to print...
do it all the time and works great. Good luck

I agree wholeheartedly with you. I don't see how you can function in wide format design and production without Photoshop. Yet, since coming out with our seamless tile collections, I have come to realize that a lot of people are trying to get along without it. And we have a lot of support calls because of it. Mostly from Flexi and Omega owners.

Neither of these applications does a good job at handling tile placement or working with them as patterns. And where they both come up totally wanting is in handling file types with transparency such as PNG format ... while Photoshop does it all flawlessly.