• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi for mac?

yukon

I've used Flexi with Windows forever and am considering getting an iMac! I'm worried about using Flexi on a Mac. Does anyone have any feedback on how well the Mac version of Flexi performs? I realize I can probably use the windows version if needed with the Apple's intel chip Windows sim.

Any thought?

Thank you!

FrankW

It works fine, but not as stable as the windows version. And it will not have all features and not all output drivers available. There are sometimes problems with the reliability of USB Connections to Output devices, sometimes the connections needs to be "rebooted".

The Mac-Version of Flexi is not very well maintained, version 8.5v2 is the newest version since years, and thats the actuality of the outputdrivers too. There was a few releases of new builds of 8.5v2, thats why you should not ask for an original disk when trying (mostly build 1440 on it). The most reliable build from my experience is 1655, it works too with Mac OS X 10.8 (not shure about the output drivers).

Flexi Mac 7.7 will not work with operating system 10.7 or higher.

Mainframe

I use Flexi on an imac and it runs well, no problems, I love my imac, it has been a steady reliable work horse!

yukon

Thanks for the feedback. I've noticed the Flexi site doesn't even show it's Mac version anymore.

Yukon

yukon

Really want the iMac.
I'm going to image my computer and run Flexi on my Bro's MacBook Pro under Windows simulation to see how it performs. We'll check all my perrif's too. It will be running my existing FlexiPro 10.5 Windows version.

Wish me luck!

WildWestDesigns

Running an emulating program, while it will work, is using quite a bit of resources. For all intents and purposes you have two OSs, two start menus, having to share your RAM between two platforms etc.

While I was testing using Mac, I had to use Parrallels as at the time there wasn't any commercial embroidery program out there for Mac (still isn't to my knowledge, but there are home software available for Macs (those have their own issues, but not related to the OS) and that had it's issues as far as resources go. Now that also depends on the computer and the second OS you choose to run (at the time it was Vista for me, so that in of itself was an issue), just be aware of that as well. I would definitely make sure that the iMac is loaded if you are going to go the emulation route.

choucove

I don't want to start up another war over this, but might I ask why you are wanting to go to the iMac for running Flexi versus what you are currently running with the PC? This might also help us understand the type of resources that you are needing to work properly.

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
i run flexi 8.5.1 on TWO macs with ONE dongle. totally worth it. lets see thaat happen in windows....
it is plenty stable. have you run cs suite 5.5 on a mac? crashes more than flexi does..
just don't load too many fonts on it. i also cut my mimaki with BOTH machines....
good luck!

yukon

I want to go to the Mac because I believe they are more graphics oriented. In the past 5 years we've turned more toward graphic intense digital printing, high res wraps etc. We're using Illustrator 6.0 and Photoshop 5.5 for special effects and putting it all together in Flexi. Other designers send us files created in Illustrator & PShop. Windows seems to be struggling at times. I like the idea of few viruses, easy integration between my iPad, iPhone, even the recent PostScript font problem would never have happened on an Apple.

In the past with vector based cut vinyl Windows is fine, but now with the graphic heavy projects I believe an Apple would perform better.

I'm gonna test it out - we'll see.

thinksigns

SnowFlake
I've been using Flexi for Mac thru different versions for over 10 years. It is as stable as any of my other Apple programs - very stable.

I'm on Flexi 8.5 v 2 and have been for a couple of years. I think your biggest issue is your brand new iMac will come with OS 10.8 - I'm still running 10.6 I would do a search for people that have upgraded to 10.8 and if there were issues.

WildWestDesigns

I want to go to the Mac because I believe they are more graphics oriented. In the past 5 years we've turned more toward graphic intense digital printing, high res wraps etc. We're using Illustrator 6.0 and Photoshop 5.5 for special effects and putting it all together in Flexi. Other designers send us files created in Illustrator & PShop. Windows seems to be struggling at times.

At one time I would have agreed with that assessment, but that just isn't the case now. I'm sure there will be others that disagree. If Windows is struggling, I would look at the resources that you have. Large files will create a demand on the system, that's for sure, but that doesn't mean that Windows can't handle it if it has the proper resources to do so.

I like the idea of few viruses, easy integration between my iPad, iPhone, even the recent PostScript font problem would never have happened on an Apple.

I can't remember the last time that I got a virus. I also wasn't affected by the postscript problem either (although I can understand that reason). iPad and iPhone have easy integration on Windows as well (really have to be given the market demographic).

In the past with vector based cut vinyl Windows is fine, but now with the graphic heavy projects I believe an Apple would perform better.

I'm gonna test it out - we'll see.

Again, it has to do with the resources of the computer. If you are going to test on the Mac to see if it performs better, make sure it's a test on equal footing. I wouldn't use the 2GB of ram Dell computer that I'm typing on now as a clear comparison to my design computer that has 16GB of ram. They are going to perform vastly different. That's just using ram as one comparison. Since my programs render in 3D that would be affected by my video card as well. This Dell wouldn't come close to comparing with my main computer.

yukon

Wild West, I am concerned about the resources used on a Mac to simulate Windows. I am also very used to Windows. I just spect out an "apples to apples" comparison - cost wise between a new Dell and an iMac. There's a $1000 difference! unbelievable!

I need to replace my main Dell (I have 3), it's 5 years old and the only reason it lasted this long is because I load up my systems with high RAM, Video & hard drive space when I buy them.

ThinkSigns - You say your using Flexi 8.5 with no problems. Is that the MAC or Win version? I use Flexi 10.5 and don't want to go back to 8.5 win. 10.5 handles pdf's much better and I occasionally us the soft shadow options.

Yukon

brian_fellers

There is NO comparison when it comes to MAC and PC. I used PC for my Graphics all throughout my life, then switched to MAC 5 years ago. Once you go Mac you NEVER go back!! Mac is just a MUCH more stable OS than Windows will ever be, and it's faster. Yes, much faster. My macbook pro has an i3 processor, and my design computer at work (PC) had an i7 processor, both 2.9GHz, both 8GB of RAM. My MAC blew the PC out of the water with a test on opening a large file (500MB) in Illustrator CS5. Again, same program, same file, but the Mac was much faster. This is due to the OS, nothing more than that. Mac OS always has been, and probably always will be a better built machine than PC, and the price tag confirms that! LOL

Many other people will share a different opinion, as you've seen, so I really think it's just a matter of preference. I also LOVE the easy syncing between all my devices. Yes, you can do that with Windows to, after you download 3rd party apps, software, etc., but it's not nearly as "user friendly" as syncing Apple to Apple devices.

I can't comment on Flexi with Mac, I never used it, only on PC. I just use Illustrator with Master Cut 2, it came with my Graphtec, works great.

WildWestDesigns

Wild West, I am concerned about the resources used on a Mac to simulate Windows. I am also very used to Windows. I just spect out an "apples to apples" comparison - cost wise between a new Dell and an iMac. There's a $1000 difference! unbelievable!

Not really. You can't get a spec for spec version of my computer on a Mac (at least not listed on their website), the closest still doesn't have the equivalent video card (as well as RAM, not just size, but speed as well) and it was 2k spread between them. I just allocated that 2k to a 21UX for my 3rd monitor.

I need to replace my main Dell (I have 3), it's 5 years old and the only reason it lasted this long is because I load up my systems with high RAM, Video & hard drive space when I buy them.

5 yrs ago at best would have put you into Vista territory. Did you have the last service pack? By the time that last one came out it was stable. I preferred Vista over XP (never could stand the GUI of XP, at least the default one). Last XP computer I had was that dell that I mentioned and as soon as I brought it home it had Ubuntu on it and just today I loaded up Fedora to try that one out. Otherwise, I think it took 2GB of RAM just to run the OS for the Vista distribution. Win 7 is much better of an OS compared to Vista in terms of resource management in general.

To say that one is geared towards design over the other one just doesn't have the same truth that it did when I was a kid and most of your design programs (if not all) were released for Macs.

Either platform, properly built should suit you well for the most part. I say for the most part, because I don't use Flexi, so I don't know if it does or doesn't have trouble on the Mac version.

WildWestDesigns

There is NO comparison when it comes to MAC and PC. I used PC for my Graphics all throughout my life, then switched to MAC 5 years ago. Once you go Mac you NEVER go back!!

Mainly because you can't afford to go back in most instances.

Mac is just a MUCH more stable OS than Windows will ever be, and it's faster.

There were a few glitches (still happen from time to time) on Alicia's MacAir. So it does happen. I think even GG had some issue with her Air as well. A kernal issue if I'm not mistaken, something that was/is common on that model.

Out of the 4 people that I personally know (that is included me though), 3 went back to Windows after trying Mac. In my case, I still have to have Windows because of one type of software that I run, and it's just not worth it running an emulation and still have to have Windows. Those other 2 do design heavily. The one that remained with Mac does a little bit of scrap booking every now and then, but doesn't do intensive design work (which I find ironic).

As far as stable and faster, you really can't beat Linux. If only Wine was up to date to run my embroidery program. If it could just do that one program, I would be set. However, I have not had one stability issue with Win 7. Vista was a totally different story.

In all honesty, it truly doesn't matter between the two, despite personal preference, they are pretty equal in what they can do in this area.

Yes, you can do that with Windows to, after you download 3rd party apps, software, etc., but it's not nearly as "user friendly" as syncing Apple to Apple devices.

iTunes isn't 3rd party software. That syncs right up to iPad, iPhone, iPod etc. That's all you need to sync those devices on a Windows machine.

yukon

Nice memory WildWest!

I never ran Vista. We bought 2 Dells within a month of each other. The 1st came with XP, the second came with Vista - Dell refused to load it with XP, so I had to reformat and install XP myself! They've both since been upgraded to Win7 pro (which I like)

WildWestDesigns

Nice memory WildWest!

I never ran Vista. We bought 2 Dells within a month of each other. The 1st came with XP, the second came with Vista - Dell refused to load it with XP, so I had to reformat and install XP myself! They've both since been upgraded to Win7 pro (which I like)

When you upgraded to Win 7 did you add more RAM? Otherwise, you would have only been relegated to 4 GB of RAM, unless you installed XP Pro which was the only 64bit version of XP, but that didn't come already installed, you had to do that yourself.

I know when I was running Vista on a 4 GB computer, my embroidery program was always crashing if I was trying to do a render of a stitch heavy design (or course, it renders in 3D, so it could have been also due to the video card as well).

I've become a power hog due to that. I just got done building a computer that has 64 GB of memory with a video card that supports 4 hi-def monitors (or 2 hi def and 2 3D monitors). It can become an addiction if you won't watch it.