• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi Sign Pro for Mac

artsnletters

It's been a long time since i've posted actually been pretty busy between shop work, rebuilding my Road King and trying to upgrade my computer systems.
My question is, Does Flexi/SAI actually support MAC OSX as a platform? I've talked to factory reps and sales reps and no one can give me a solid answer. I've been using a (at least) 15 year old Beige G3 PowerPC loaded with FlexiSign Pro 5.5 (!) and another G4 with 7.6 (both legal copies with dongles) and really no problems whatsoever, they just keep on running. I have a G5 (still PowerPC G5/non intel) running with Flexi Sign Pro 8.5 demo running on OSX (Panther) and an Intel Based Laptop. I really want to get 8.5 pro but no vendor seems to know ANYTHING to help me. I'd really like to buy a used LEGAL copy since i cant find one anywhere (whether on CL or E-Bay), any suggestions from either Mac Afficionados or Flexi vendors?
Tim

CS-SignSupply

I have been told that ALL MAC Sales are on hold (not being processed).

Past that, I have not been told what the plan is moving forward.

Running the lastest build on OSX Lion has been troublesome.

artsnletters

wasn't the last version MAC OSX 8.5v2? Since i'm using Leopard 10.5.8 anyway i'm not (yet) concerned about Lion. I really like the way the demo version of FSP 8.5v2 runs, can i purchase a key and code to enable that version? How can you check my usb dongle that i presently have, its an old blue USB dongle. Is there a place to check in the computer? I was told i could use that to upgrade. Thanks for the help.

Others: mac users can you tell me about your experiences with Flexi pro running OSX?
Tim

CS-SignSupply

The only option at this point in time would be to contact Scott at Graphix Direct 714-428-0060 to see if he could help you out.

cgsigns_jamie

I ran FlexiPRO 8.6 on my Mac using the same Dongle and Password that I had for Windows. So if you buy a Windows version with a USB Dongle and a working password that'll run it on the Mac.

Now for the actual Mac program... In my experience it was very unstable and not reliable enough for production use.

Now I run Windows 7 as a virtual machine (VM Ware Fusion) and run the Windows version of FlexiPRO 8.6. This has proven to be a rock solid solution and I have no issues at all.

I wouldn't recommend the native Mac application for Flexi 8.6.
I know many people with older Macs running the older versions of Flexi without any issues and they're sticking with that.

artsnletters

that isn't what i wanted to hear....ouch. I was wanting to run in OSX as opposed to the OLD OS9 that my old computers run. I really like the way OSX works and was hoping there was a solution using that. I MAYBE have a couple of hours total experience using Windows machines and i really don't care for the way they run. I'm sure just lack of experience accounts for that. I also thought i could just get some sort of print server from what i was told. Thanks for your posts.
Tim

FrankW

Flexi 8.5v2 works with Mac OS X Lion. Ask your dealer for the latest build (1655, it's the 3 year old 1440 on the original DVD's). FlexiSIGN-PRO Mac Full Version or Update (as PhotoPRINT Mac too) can't be delivered anymore because of licence issues with Adobe, but can be updated to EXPERT. I'm a european Flexi dealer, and I have a lot of customers using Flexi Mac in production.

artsnletters

Flexi 8.5v2 works with Mac OS X Lion. Ask your dealer for the latest build (1655, it's the 3 year old 1440 on the original DVD's). FlexiSIGN-PRO Mac Full Version or Update (as PhotoPRINT Mac too) can't be delivered anymore because of licence issues with Adobe, but can be updated to EXPERT. I'm a european Flexi dealer, and I have a lot of customers using Flexi Mac in production.

Until i upgrade to a NEWER faster G5 with Intel chipsets i'm stuck with OSX Leopard 10.5.8, that is the newest Apple will support on a PowerPC. Will that work on Leopard? I DO really like how 8.5v2 works in demo mode on OSX, is full functionality that different or flawed? I can work on files, just not save or send to plot or RIP in demo mode.
Tim

FrankW

Until i upgrade to a NEWER faster G5 with Intel chipsets i'm stuck with OSX Leopard 10.5.8, that is the newest Apple will support on a PowerPC. Will that work on Leopard? I DO really like how 8.5v2 works in demo mode on OSX, is full functionality that different or flawed? I can work on files, just not save or send to plot or RIP in demo mode.
Tim

Flexi 8.5v2 will work on Leopard too.

Victorian Signs

Sign Studio Policy & Procedures Signs

Revamping our sign studio to better display our products, and show more samples to our clients, was wondering how many include on there wall, a copy of your policy, procedures, rates..........etc.

If so, would there be any place that has sample templates available, that could possible be modify to adapt to any studio, and or if anyone would love to share with us what works good for your shop,

We have never displayed anything for the past 19 yrs.............but new customers are getting more diffcult these days, and are becoming more

signshop shopping...........trying to nip this in the bu??

Thanks For Sharing:banghead:

Geary

What To Do With Mountain Lion

Hey guys. Long time Mac user here. I screwed the pooch good yesterday. I decided "on a whim" to install Mountain Lion straight over Snow Leopard on my 2 year old iMac 27" system. I have only needed to be a "cutter" guy for my small 1 (or 2 when needed) person shop. Here's what I've got....er HAD....: Mac > Flexi Starter 8 > old 30" Panther SignWherehouse cutter. I've designed in Canvas X for years and have been able to transfer 98% of everything in paths straight over for production for about 8 years.

Now...after the Mountain Lion faux pas ....Nada, Zippo, outa luck buddy. Can't run Flexi, Canvas, Illustrator 10, nothing except all the other fancy schmancy stuff I use my computer for in my "other life" such as music, recording, newer games, etc.

And I DO NOT want to erase my computer and start all over fresh with a reinstall of Snow Leopard. Anybody have any ideas. I am willing to run virtual windows software if I can smoothly make the transitions
~Gear

jcuminale

gear, you may not be out of it yet. we are running flexi pro 8.5v2 successfully on mountain lion for design purposes and not production...we recently switched to versaworks for production when we upgraded printers (more on that later). download the latest key driver for safenet sentinel, it will again have you able to run flex. when we upgraded to one of the new iMacs this year, we were forced to try to get somewhere with mountain lion. (actually i wanted to try this for another reason as well...again, more later). after transferring an entire mac user account, and downloading the new key driver, we were able to get flexi back after a failed first attempt.

as for the most interesting part of the experiment, the feature added in lion and kept in mountain lion of allowing for multiple users to be logged in to one system without interfering with the user in front of the system...kinda like screen sharing without the screen. this actually has allowed us to set up a painless windows partition on the mac through parallels and run versaworks which can be accessed by anyone on the network logged into that account. i too prefer the user experience of a mac system, but for when this cannot be done, this solution has proved to work quite well for us. we also have been running enroute through a parallels/fusion windows environment for years.

Geary

Hope

Thanks JC, your words have been like a soothing balm knowing there's half a chance I might be able to save my cool and use most of what I've got on board.
Questions:
Where is the place (a link please) to download the Safenet Sentinel driver?
And since I don't print or CNC ...the only other thing I need is the ability to convert my old Canvas (.cvs) files into eps paths I can use from the tons of old jobs' files I have. I've got like 15 years worth. What would you recommend?

Thanks buddy.

~Gear

Geary

Miracle!!!

JCUMINALE ...YOU ARE THE MAN! I just downloaded the latest driver for the key and VOILA! Works BETTER than before! Wow. You have perhaps made my whole week. If I lived near you I would buy you supper! Thanks so much dude! Now all I need is to find a way to convert my Canvas files. I may just buy a PC copy and run a virtual Windows 7 through Oracle. ;)
~Gear

Bigcat_hunter

glad it worked out for you. never really had experience with canvas...i came up with freehand and still miss it...though flexi is closer to it than illustrator.

not sure about it but you could try the suggestions used here:http://www.wizaerd.com/forum/index.php?pAction=Read&Start=0&Msg=6097

I also learned with Freehand. I too miss it. Illustrator is a lot different to learn. I do all of my designing on the Mac and I only use Flexi to rip from the mac. It is un-usable for designing on my mac as it is just too slow to design anything. It sucks on the mac. I had to spend 3k for a program that will only rip!

Geary

glad it worked out for you. never really had experience with canvas...i came up with freehand and still miss it...though flexi is closer to it than illustrator.

not sure about it but you could try the suggestions used here:http://www.wizaerd.com/forum/index.php?pAction=Read&Start=0&Msg=6097

Thanks again JC....but as to the suggestion of the work-around to save as a PDF file of the old Canvas files (or anything else for that matter) ; It looks like one would have to have a working native program such as Canvas ....or know how to do work the Apple Script function....two things I'm sorely lacking in at the moment. However, I will do a search for it. I may need to load up an old Mac in the house and transfer everything with an external hard drive, CDs, or thumb drives.

BigCat: Yes, I too remember Freehand. it was a good one. Corel was what I used for designing at the very last sign company I worked at while still "normally employed". It worked pretty well and would save to a myriad of file types. Illustrator is OK too...but, one REALLY has to be in love with Adobe and work with it constantly (plus read every book on it and go to all their message boards) in order to make it user friendly. Somebody explained it best that working with illustrator is like getting "that bad sweater for Christmas" and you sometimes gotta put it on but it doesn't ever feel comfortable or work out nicely. :)

~Gear

steve.leleaux

I also learned with Freehand. I too miss it. Illustrator is a lot different to learn. I do all of my designing on the Mac and I only use Flexi to rip from the mac. It is un-usable for designing on my mac as it is just too slow to design anything. It sucks on the mac. I had to spend 3k for a program that will only rip!
I agree with you on the expensive rip software. I draw everything in illustrator. But after 10+ years of .fs files and so much $ invested in the switch we made from flexi 7.5 for PC to flexi 8 for mac I'm just going to deal with it for as long as I can.

artsnletters

Flexi 8

I agree with you on the expensive rip software. I draw everything in illustrator. But after 10+ years of .fs files and so much $ invested in the switch we made from flexi 7.5 for PC to flexi 8 for mac I'm just going to deal with it for as long as I can.
Where did you get a Mac Version of Flexi 8? no one has ever been able to give me a straight answer. I've talked to various suppliers and reps and no one has said "Yeah i can sell you a new(er) 8.5.2 Flexi Pro"....
Tim

Geary

FlexiStarter 8

Where did you get a Mac Version of Flexi 8? no one has ever been able to give me a straight answer. I've talked to various suppliers and reps and no one has said "Yeah i can sell you a new(er) 8.5.2 Flexi Pro"....
Tim

Tim....I don't know about the "pro" version because I don't print. I bought a copy JUST for cutting for my old SW 30" Panther plotter and Mac from US Cutter. Out of a half dozen I've tried over all the years....these guys are hands down the best with customer service btw. ;) http://www.uscutter.com/FlexiSTARTER-v8-6-for-Mac Hope this helps somehow. ~Gear