• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi/SignPal Port Changing Itself

RustyNZ

I am having an intermittent issue with my SignPal 10.5 software (Expert and Pro), SignPal is an OEM version of FlexiSign for GCC cutters only.

Sometimes when I go to cut something it fails because it can't find the port, I go in to Production Manager and find that the port for the plotter has changed to 'File:', if I change it back to 'USB_Printer_0' then it will work fine. This is not a big issue for me but we sell this software with our cutters and it is, understandably, a problem for my customers.

I have 2 customers who have also reported this issue, they both are connected by USB like me, one has Windows 10 and the other I think is Windows 7, my laptop has Windows 7 and has done this before too. I have set all to 'Run as Admin' for both SignPal and Production Manager and it has still happened for at least one customer after changing that and with this customer I also ran the installer as Admin when I installed it.

Yesterday it was fine for my customer for his first two cuts then he came back to do another and it had changed back to 'File:' without rebooting computer, disconnecting cutter or anything (so he has told me and I don't believe he'd know how to change any of these settings as he wrote down how to change it back but sitll had to call me for assistance).

Does anyone have any ideas? Supplier has since come back and said it sounds very unusual and they haven't heard of it before which is odd when I have seen it on my own laptop and have had at least 2 customers complain of this happening at least twice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks for your time.

bannertime

USB 0 I believe is a virtual port. Can you tell us how the driver is installed onto the computers? What does the computer see the device as when it's connected. I'm not sure what's going on, but I'd check around in Device Manager (Right Click "My Computer" > "Manage" > "Device Manager") look around for the plotter to show up. It may be under "Other Devices." My goal for this is to possibly have another port to forward to the device. Then set your program to send to say "USB004" which would be forwarded to the proper USB_Printer_0 that the computer has assigned to the device.

My guess is that your software is loosing connection with the port somehow and reverting back? Even then it should just show a port connection error. If you could take some screen shots of the RIP, Device Manager, and Device Properties.