• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FlexiSign 8 Import Question

k2ds

When I export a design to a JPEG from Adobe Illustrator at 150 dpi, and then import it into Flexi, it simply "doubles the size". If I just 1/2 the size back, will I be losing quality? Can I remedy the import in any way? Thanks in advance!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Sounds like Flexi is just using screen resolution for its display of the JPG. Resizing can be done without loss of resolution providing that the pixel dimensions remain unchanged. I'm not sure if resizing in Flexi will do this or not. In an image editor, which Flexi is not, such as Photoshop, resizing provides the option of resampling or just changing resolution. Resampling changes the pixel dimensions and changing resolution does not.

To state what I am trying to explain differently ...

An image measuring 1500 x 1500 pixels (the pixel dimensions) is 10" x 10" at 150 pixels per inch, 5" x 5" at 300 PPI, and it is 20" x 20" at 75 PPI. The absolute way of describing an image's size is in pixel dimensions.

k2ds

Okay, so here's an even weirder issue. I opened up the jpeg that I had exported from Illustrator into Photoshop, re-saved it and now it is importing correctly. The pixels are the exact same 3600 x 2400 (24 inches tall at 150 dpi).

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Frankly I have never been happy with the export of raster images out of Illustrator and nearly always take a path through Photoshop instead. It's an extra step but there are less surprises.