• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FlexiSign Pro Gradients

jason91

How do you get the horizontal lines out of the flexi gradients...Its awful...I have a gradient that goes from 60black to white then back to 60black and no matter how or what I do the gradient is awful.. its not a smooth gradient no matter what setting (normal, enhanced or super)...I can still see the horizontal changes in the gradient...also printing at 1440x760?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I have always heard Flexi's gradients don't look so hot. Is that the only design software you can use? Also, look in your color profile and printer settings and make sure you are set to 16bit rendering. 8bit will always look segmented.

ChicagoGraphics

Of all the years I used Flexi Pro, my gradients always came out perfectly printing at 360x360 or 720x720 6 or 8 pass bidirectional.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Ive noticed that I get white lines in my gradients but it's only on the screen and not in the actual print. (Export as JPG to confirm)

BUUUTTT, I DO get lines in the actual print sometimes when I import gradients from PDFs or AIs and those will show up in JPGs. That has me confused.

jason91

I have always heard Flexi's gradients don't look so hot. Is that the only design software you can use? Also, look in your color profile and printer settings and make sure you are set to 16bit rendering. 8bit will always look segmented.
where do you change that at? cant find 8 or 16 bit setting

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Was the gradient made in Flexi or opened/imported from another source?
As a rule of thumb, gradients are best printed as rastert. Also gradients should never be given as an eps.
I'm a corel user and I get eps files all the time that when imported the gradient is made up of thousands of different colored segments. So after abandoning that idea I'll open the eps in illustrator and if the gradient is intact, as it should be, save out as a pdf for my use. If that doesn't work I ask for either the native file or a pdf.

jason91

Was the gradient made in Flexi or opened/imported from another source?
As a rule of thumb, gradients are best printed as rastert. Also gradients should never be given as an eps.
I'm a corel user and I get eps files all the time that when imported the gradient is made up of thousands of different colored segments. So after abandoning that idea I'll open the eps in illustrator and if the gradient is intact, as it should be, save out as a pdf for my use. If that doesn't work I ask for either the native file or a pdf.
ive tried it either way...both with the same result...id would like to create it out of corel draw but print it in flexi...but I've tried both ways and the gradients are awful printed out of flexi...the gradients are vectors though, maybe I need to create it to a bitmap and try that?

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
How do you get the horizontal lines out of the flexi gradients...Its awful...I have a gradient that goes from 60black to white then back to 60black and no matter how or what I do the gradient is awful.. its not a smooth gradient no matter what setting (normal, enhanced or super)...I can still see the horizontal changes in the gradient...also printing at 1440x760?

"Horizontal lines" vs "horizontal changes." What are you trying to describe, exactly? I can tell you now, you have MANY issues out of control and printing in 16 bit will not remedy those.

Looking forward to your better description.

Last edited:

jason91

"Horizontal lines" vs "horizontal changes." What are you trying to describe, exactly? I can tell you now, you have MANY issues out of control and printing in 16 bit will not remedy those.

Looking forward to your better description.
Instead of a nice transition of a blended color, the color will have color bands, where you can actually see a box of different color in the gradient

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Instead of a nice transition of a blended color, the color will have color bands, where you can actually see a box of different color in the gradient

Exactly as I suspected.

Linearize and have a proper ICC profile created for your setup and print your known evaluation file to keep on hand for future reference. When that's completed, get back to us when you find the time because other important issues are still outstanding.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Flexi's gradients leave a lot to be desired. The horizontal banding is because when the gradient is rendered it isn't a linear progression, rather it's a series of bands of solid color, each band differing slightly from the next band. There is no transition from one to the next. It's a step. The best way I've found to date is to create a bitmap from the gradient and then add just a small bit of noise, usually less than 10%. This eliminates the edge of each band and creates or at least simulates the linear progression form one end of the gradient to the other. This eliminates or at least obscures the bands.

IsItFasst

I used to see these lines a lot more often but once I got my profile dialed in I really don't see them anymore. As other have said it would be best to create an image of the gradient since that prints better. The easiest way that I know to do this would be simply create a rectangle the size of the area you need to fill and fill it in with the gradient you want. Then "rasterize" that rectangle under the bitmap menu. Move that to the bottom of the pile (object list) so it is behind the vector piece you want with the gradient. Then select both and "mask" the two together. This will fix your issues (hopefully).