• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flourescent Bulb Length

MI Bearcat

I had a customer call and wanted the bulbs replaced in their outdoor backlit sign. Took a picture of the bulb, ordered new ones and they don't fit. The new ones (exact same numbers) are slightly longer (1/4") and will not fit in the sign. Took old bulb to supplier and they said they cannot get that original length anymore. Any one else run into this before? Attached is the old bulb.

Attachments

• 20181120_145948.jpg
    20181120_145948.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 210

Rocco G

An old service man's trick is to turn off the power (unless you like high voltage shocks), put the lamp into the spring end. Then take a flat-head screwdriver and bring your bulb in as close as you can get. Use the screwdriver to wedge the bulb into place. The socket trap covers will give a little. I run into this from time to time when working on old signs. Have an extra lamp (or three) on hand just in case. After a few tries it becomes second nature.

Or if worst comes to worst, remove the socket trap cover (trim the length about 1/2-3/4" or even more) and slide it up a bit so that the lamp will fit on an angle. The lamps will be on a slight angle but should still properly illuminate the sign. Make sure to fill the gap you left in the cover. I've seen signs where the bulbs were on a 20 degree angle because the maker didn't know to oversize the cabinet in the direction of the bulbs. For an extrusion the rule of thumb is 1" longer in the direction of the lamps. I'll bet your sign is less than 97" wide.

MI Bearcat

An old service man's trick is to turn off the power (unless you like high voltage shocks), put the lamp into the spring end. Then take a flat-head screwdriver and bring your bulb in as close as you can get. Use the screwdriver to wedge the bulb into place. The socket trap covers will give a little. I run into this from time to time when working on old signs. Have an extra lamp (or three) on hand just in case. After a few tries it becomes second nature.

Or if worst comes to worst, remove the socket trap cover (trim the length about 1/2-3/4" or even more) and slide it up a bit so that the lamp will fit on an angle. The lamps will be on a slight angle but should still properly illuminate the sign. Make sure to fill the gap you left in the cover. I've seen signs where the bulbs were on a 20 degree angle because the maker didn't know to oversize the cabinet in the direction of the bulbs. For an extrusion the rule of thumb is 1" longer in the direction of the lamps. I'll bet your sign is less than 97" wide.

Thanks for the info! Will give it a try.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Or.............. just replace the tombstone with a new one, position it properly and tell him the sign needed some service work.

MI Bearcat

doesn't sound like you are qualified to work on electrical signs.
We don't. Only do the easy stuff as we are replacing the panels. Didn't think we would run into problems replacing the bulbs.
Any electric work or replacing the tombstone would be subbed out.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
An LED retrofit is in order.

My advice is not to even touch an electric sign unless you are qualified to work on them (that includes changing faces). The general rule of thumb is the last person to touch the sign assumes all liability if something goes wrong.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Many local sign codes and a growing number of states (such as Texas for example) require people who service electrical signs to have at least a journeyman electrician's license and require companies who manufacture electrical signs to have at least one or more staff to have a master electrician's license. Since we do a good bit of business in Texas and other neighboring states we have to comply with that. Oh, and there's also continuing education classes on various things, some of it to do with electrical codes or other topics like crane truck safety.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
doesn't sound like you are qualified to work on electrical signs.

My advice is not to even touch an electric sign unless you are qualified to work on them (that includes changing faces). The general rule of thumb is the last person to touch the sign assumes all liability if something goes wrong.

Changing bulbs is not working on electrical signs, it's a common thing to do when replacing signs faces.

- don't replace a sign face if you can't fix the internal electrical components is a pretty dumb statement, that's the equivalent to saying don't fix a flat if you can't replace an engine.... he's a sign maker, it's a sign face, pretty sure he's qualified to replace a sign face and a few bulbs...

thesignpost

Changing bulbs is not working on electrical signs, it's a common thing to do when replacing signs faces.

- don't replace a sign face if you can't fix the internal electrical components is a pretty dumb statement, that's the equivalent to saying don't fix a flat if you can't replace an engine.... he's a sign maker, it's a sign face, pretty sure he's qualified to replace a sign face and a few bulbs...

Does that statement apply to changing bulbs in your house as well?

kcollinsdesign

Old member
I'm guessing some of you have little experience with electric signs. Go ahead and do what you want. Sometimes the best way to learn is by making mistakes. Please be careful!

petrosgraphics

it is more than likely an extruded alum. cabinet, not sure if the fixtures are tombstone or standard sockets. the alum that they are affixed to is probably .040. unscrew one side slide it vertically up or down,this will give you the room you need to put the lamps in place. once in place, slide the alum back and put your screws back in.