• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

foam sign repair

printkodiak

I had a customer bring me a sign for repair that was made elsewhere. It is carved rigid foam and it has a chunk out of it. Any recommendations on what material to use to patch it? Water wood filler maybe?
Thanks

Mosh

How big is the peice missing. We used spray foam insulation and then rasp it close after it drys. Finish with some bondo body filler and paint to match. Did this to a couple HDU signs and they came out great.

CentralSigns

+ with Mosh's idea. I used wood filler exterior grade on one I did, sanded with 200 grit and recoated with 1-shot. Worked good and still looks good 2 yrs latter.

signmeup

square out the missing spot, epoxy in a new piece of signfoam, recarve & repaint.
A "Dutchman" patch. Cut the piece for the patch, "draw" around it with a sharp knife with it over the damaged part then route out the recess and glue in your patch. Sand flush and prime/paint. This way your patch is also your pattern.
If you can find/borrow/steal an old antique hand router (not an electric one) it's the best tool yet invented for this type of patch.

petrosgraphics

have had to repair signfoam a number of times... as stated before, cut the bad section
out add a new piece of signfoam, i use gorilla glue ( not to much) sand, and prime and
use fiberglass body filler to fill in any seams... works well....

How big is the peice missing. We used spray foam insulation and then rasp it close after it drys. Finish with some bondo body filler and paint to match. Did this to a couple HDU signs and they came out great.
What do I do if the sandblaster went too far & blasts a hole in the sign, not in a corner?