• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Font Id Please

nikdoobs

Having trouble with this one. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

Attachments

• IMG_0459 copy.jpg
    IMG_0459 copy.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 166

SignosaurusRex

I wonder if Racing Sans One took its inspiration from Charter Oak? I like it, kinda...
I can see that perspective. OPTI Radiant (Castcraft) or Radiant Display (Elsner & Flake) might be closer to Racing Sans than Charter Oak is. Charter Oak is generally considered to be rather obscure outside of Gerber and Anagraph fonts, Formatt Press-type and traditional Metal Type. It might only be proper to note URW's Imperial and Berthold's Imago

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
I think Charter Oak was way overused in the eighties when it was introduced with the Gerber IVB, and I got to kinda dislike it. I thought it had really a very limited usefulness. But I remember seeing Charter Oak in an old book of typefaces, once, and it kinda brought me back around to using it again, albeit very judiciously.

I'll have to investigate the fonts mentioned in your post. You seem to have a far broader perspective of the history of fonts than I do :) Thanks.

SignosaurusRex

I think Charter Oak was way overused in the eighties when it was introduced with the Gerber IVB

That stands to reason... like many other typefaces that have been around for nearly a century ...or more.
(this one for useless info)... Charter Oak was first introduced by Keystone Type Foundry in 1899. In it's digital form, it seems to have been popular enough for such digital libraries as URW+ and Linotype to eventually include it in offerings.

Pippin Decals

check out Find MY Font.Its a great program for the price..It usually takes about 5-10 secs to find the font you seek as long as its not custom hand drawn..they have a demo of it you can try..

SignosaurusRex

check out Find MY Font.Its a great program for the price..It usually takes about 5-10 secs to find the font you seek as long as its not custom hand drawn..they have a demo of it you can try..

Great tool indeed. Sometimes the eye (and mind) are mightier than the machine. FMF is only as good as the extent of it's supporting databases. ;)

Last edited:

Pippin Decals

I completely agree SignosaurusRex, But since i dont have the eye for knowing what a font name is, nor have the knowledge like some who have done it for years , i have to rely on the next best thing lol...

SignosaurusRex

I completely agree SignosaurusRex, But since i dont have the eye for knowing what a font name is, nor have the knowledge like some who have done it for years , i have to rely on the next best thing lol...

We all rely on various tools ...especially when it comes to fonts and typefaces. I like to test my mind and eye first, then I go to my library of fonts, software and even the books on occasions. If it were a contest, I might have a small advantage over the average joe by having worked in other associated graphic arts fields from an early age. At that time, we could not spend a lot of time searching and resources were limited to familiarity and books. Of course then, we did not have a bazillion fonts available and type foundries were but a handful. The on-line and software font identification tools available today are a must for all in this field...myself included!

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
The on-line and software font identification tools available today are a must for all in this field...myself included!

Exactly!

I've used FindMyFont for years, now, and it has saved me oodles of time. I use it primarily to find a font that I know I have, but cannot remember the name of it. Another excellent use of FMF is to discover other fonts that have a similar look to a font that I would use but for some disqualifying attribute such as a weird lower-case 'g' or something.

I was lucky enough to be one of the evaluators of Ver 3.0? (I think) and I've been hooked ever since, so I really need to thank Fred W. for bringing me into the fold, as it were. I would never have initially bought the software on my own, but now that I know what it can do, I can't imagine life without it.