• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Font suggestions

Holeshotrob

I have a new client that is opening a Vintage clothing business (buy, sell, trade) and we decided on a 40's style, WWII era font for the lettering, but for the life of me....the ones I am trying to use just don't look exactly right. I'm trying to get that Nose-art style feel with her logo cuz I'm using a pin-up in it and I need some suggestions if anyone is willing.

Here is what I have so far that isn't working for me.....

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• Moniques Boutique.jpg
    Moniques Boutique.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,330

mikey-Oh

maybe it's just the decision for a script font, i checked wwii propaganda posters with images.google. most are in some san-serif, bold font. if anything look at the sweet palettes they used when a logo goes beyond b&w

SignosaurusRex

I'm guessing that you have been to this site, but just in case...http://www.nose-art.net/
I think you may be greatly limiting yourself by choosing a script but there are a few very loose ones pictured, but then again, WWII nose art was always pretty loosely done anyways. That in itself may be your key. I would say that from the ones you have played with and posted, The top left and bottom right may be good choices to start with. Maybe add some amateurish tweaks....rough'n them up a bit and adding an equally rough outline may do the trick.

Holeshotrob

Yeah, I understand about the script font, but that's what she wants. I just want to find the most legible one that I can do something with. I'll play with the ones you said, Bryan, and see what I come up with. Thanks man!

Jillbeans

Arthur Vanson's Flash Script or Red Sable Script are both based in the 1930s-40s off the lettering of Cecil Wade.
Both are nice.

There are also some of Alf Becker's scripts available thru The Fontry
He was a great lettering artist of the day whose alphabets were featured monthly in Signs of the Times.

Steve C also has some gorgeous scripts.
Signfonts.com

Maybe some inspiration here:
Smashing Magazine

Have fun, sounds like my kind of project!
Here are some straight from the PC examples.
Love....Jill

Attachments

• Graphic1.jpg
    Graphic1.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 520

Holeshotrob

Thanks Jill and Tiki!!!
See, this is why I love this place. You guys rock! I'll post up the finished design later on.