• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Football helmet decals help?

I have a peewee football program asking me about doing decals for their helmets. They change them each year and these are kids up to 6th grade. Any idea on Material I should use?

ikarasu

We use 180 with 8518 overlam for a few hockey teams. it lasts a whole year when we change them out to a different design. It all depends on if you're wrapping the whole helmet, or just putting a small decal on. Don't need anything too strong... not like they do full on contact in 6th grade.

We use 180 with 8518 overlam for a few hockey teams. it lasts a whole year when we change them out to a different design. It all depends on if you're wrapping the whole helmet, or just putting a small decal on. Don't need anything too strong... not like they do full on contact in 6th grade.
Ok. Thx..

Rusty B

Convex gear wrap and convex laminate. They are typically printed on clear with a gerber edge then laminated and contour cut. Since it is a pee wee team Id use an 8mil convex gear wrap and an 8 mil convex laminate. I make thousands of these every year and convex is the only product I will use. Others may prefer something different. I used to print on convex reverse print that was 18 mil and then apply a pressure sensitive adhesive called K9 and you would get a 20 mil decal. Reverse print has been replaced by gear wrap in the last couple years. For high schools and even colleges I use 4 mil gear wrap and 17 mil convex laminate. There are several combos you could use. Also they do make a white gear wrap that is designed for inkjets instead of thermal printers.

Will308decals

Convex gear wrap and convex laminate. They are typically printed on clear with a gerber edge then laminated and contour cut. Since it is a pee wee team Id use an 8mil convex gear wrap and an 8 mil convex laminate. I make thousands of these every year and convex is the only product I will use. Others may prefer something different. I used to print on convex reverse print that was 18 mil and then apply a pressure sensitive adhesive called K9 and you would get a 20 mil decal. Reverse print has been replaced by gear wrap in the last couple years. For high schools and even colleges I use 4 mil gear wrap and 17 mil convex laminate. There are several combos you could use. Also they do make a white gear wrap that is designed for inkjets instead of thermal printers.
What are your plotter settings when cutting 20 mil convex decals?

Rusty B

What are your plotter settings when cutting 20 mil convex decals?
Its trial and error. The key for me is using a 60 degree blade and set the blade depth right from the start. Ive had success with multiple cutters even cheapos before i got my envision and graphtec f8600. After you set the blade depth by hand then put it in the plotter and do a test cut. I usually use a 1" + sign in arial black to test cut. I have done it in one pass pass. You will want minimal force. what happens is it will bite into the vinyl and drag it if you set the force too high and that is why i say keep it as low as you can and it cut successfully. If you have trouble weeding add a 2nd pass with the same settings and it will weed like butter!