Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Football helmets.

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by showcase 66, Jul 31, 2012.

1. showcase 66

showcase 66 Very Active Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Just got an email from one of our High School football coaches wanting to know if we could do Tiger stripes on their helmets.

Has anyone done this before. I have seen helmet wraps and I am going to assume that is going to be out of their budget.

Would cut cast be the best way to go? They said they would drop off a helmet tomorrow if I needed one.

Thanks in advance.

Tags:
  2. carter75

carter75 Member

Jul 5, 2012
    The decals we had on our helmets in high school were of a very thick substrate not as prone to damage. Regular vinyl and lam would damage very easily and look bad after minimal wear.

The only way I would see it working was if the helmets were raw, you applied the vinyl and then a heavy clear coat was applied over the vinyl.

3. Scott Reynolds

Scott Reynolds Active Member

Feb 5, 2005
    If you have a really good cutter, lam black cast with polycarb lamination. Polycarb lam is tough as nails. Applying the stripes would be as tough as the lam though. One stripe at a time with heat would take days. OK, sorry, Ive got nothing....

4. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
  5. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    This: http://www.pihydrographics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=25

I think dipping them is the best option. Maybe RogueRoller would have some input. Supposedly he figured out how to print his own films.

Otherwise you could cut a set of stripes, do a comp for approval. If it is what they want then tell them you will make the kits for the Booster Club to apply. We have done things like this in the past to help schools save money.

6. MikeD

MikeD Active Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Have had success with the Convex material Pat supplied a link to above.

7. ucmj22

ucmj22 Very Active Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I wonder if you could use hydro graphics like the camodip. I dont know how durable that stuff is though

8. SD&F

SD&F Very Active Member

Oct 4, 2009
    If you do the job, I'd like to see the finished product

9. showcase 66

showcase 66 Very Active Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Thanks Pat. Looking into this stuff and possibly like what rjssigns and have the boosters put them on to save them some money and me the headache.

Thanks for the input.

10. john1

john1 Guest

Convex is the proper vinyl for this but i have used 651 and Avery A6 with success. Have done dozens of T's for the local high schools helmets.

11. ekpolo23

ekpolo23 New Member

May 16, 2013
    hydro dip helmets

Hi, Im new but wanted to reply to this , I run a custom sports memorabilia business and we have a guy who custom dips new and recon. helmets for us. The helmet is then coated with 2 coats of hi end auto clear or matte depending on the look and its tuff as nails , looks like it was baked into helmet from the start. Can get a little pricey though.

12. DizzyMarkus

DizzyMarkus Active Member

Jan 23, 2012