• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

For those of you outside of Texas...

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
We've had a huge political season here, and there is one sign that I really enjoy seeing (has nothing to do with the person's politics, I actually am not voting for them)

Simple black and white. The sign's design has had a lot of positive comments.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/pol...ough-texas-battle-logos-beto-orourke-ted-cruz

url

betoOfficialLogo_BULKyardsigns__46559.1516050972.png

Just wanted to share this design to people outside our state. I just thought it was interesting and I enjoy seeing it.

TimToad

We've had a huge political season here, and there is one sign that I really enjoy seeing (has nothing to do with the person's politics, I actually am not voting for them)

Simple black and white. The sign's design has had a lot of positive comments.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/pol...ough-texas-battle-logos-beto-orourke-ted-cruz

url

betoOfficialLogo_BULKyardsigns__46559.1516050972.png

Just wanted to share this design to people outside our state. I just thought it was interesting and I enjoy seeing it.

I'm interested in hearing your opinions from the perspective of a person working in a design related industry about what makes this design effective.

TimToad

I'm not interest in your assignment.

My "assignment"? Asking for your opinion about something YOU introduced as a topic on a DISCUSSION board is now perceived as an "assignment"?

You start a thread specifically about the design of a political yard sign and post an example, but then don't want to talk about it or offer any opinion on it other than "I have more interesting things to do Tuesday"?

Okey Dokey.

Marlene

The article was interesting. The two logos are really different. One is simple and clear and the other cluttered. Take out who is running and just look at the logos, the black and white is much better than to overly fussy one. The tried to cram in way to many things into one little logo to the point where there's no focal point.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I challenge anyone to pick out the "oil droplet" or "star" where Houston is on Cruz's sign, when driving down the road looking at an 18x24. Nice design "thoughts" and "story", but completely ineffective.

Johnny Best

His real name is Robert Francis O'Rourke but he found out by using one color, black, and less copy it would be cheaper to go with BETO. When I first saw his name and he was from Texas I thought it was BEANO and he was looking for the Tex-Mex vote. But I saw him later in an article in the NY Times and he said it was a nickname, Beto, he had from his youth.
He reminds me of another democrat, Kennedy, with the hair and smiling teeth and youth.

TimToad

The article was interesting. The two logos are really different. One is simple and clear and the other cluttered. Take out who is running and just look at the logos, the black and white is much better than to overly fussy one. The tried to cram in way to many things into one little logo to the point where there's no focal point.

After seeing interviews and reading a lot about his campaign, I think the designer involved synced the design well to O'Rourke's message, approach and preferences. O'Rourke accepts no PAC money and has taken a more direct approach to campaigning by traveling and barnstorming door to door across the entire state, not just his party's strongholds and he has eschewed bringing in party surrogates and big wigs to campaign for him. This was likely in response to the rising levels of independents becoming a factor in most elections.

The designer appears to have nailed the correlation between the simplicity of the candidate's approach and the graphical appeal of his logo.

The use of black and white not only maximized the visual contrast between his and his opponent's signs, but also the impact of his signs when seen from a distance. I've seen some images of typical street corners where multiple candidates have had multiple signs placed and you see this sea of highly predictable red, white and blue signs like a collage and then even a singular BETO sign just jumps out from the clutter.

While a risky move on color and restraint on not cramming every inch and ignoring the negative space, it appears to have some real thought beyond the typical cliches we see in political advertising.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Not gonna engage in political banter, but I can't wait for these signs to disappear. Although all the bumper stickers on cars will remain for a year or 2. At least we can identify the Commiefornia transplants with them.

TimToad

Beto "I visited all 254 counties" Orouke.

Publicity stunt that he mentioned about 10 times during one debate.

His travels have been well documented. One candidate's "publicity stunt" is another candidate's campaigning strategy.

I thought you had no interest in such pointless exercises as voting and no intention of wasting your time helping choose one of the two most important positions in the federal legislature for your state?

Maybe he just cares enough about every person's needs to want to reach out and meet as many folks as possible to better represent them. I thought folks hated politicians who took their votes for granted and only focused on the big money donors?

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/06/09/beto-o-rourke-ted-cruz-texas-254-counties/

signman315

Signmaker
After seeing interviews and reading a lot about his campaign, I think the designer involved synced the design well to O'Rourke's message, approach and preferences. O'Rourke accepts no PAC money and has taken a more direct approach to campaigning by traveling and barnstorming door to door across the entire state, not just his party's strongholds and he has eschewed bringing in party surrogates and big wigs to campaign for him. This was likely in response to the rising levels of independents becoming a factor in most elections.

The designer appears to have nailed the correlation between the simplicity of the candidate's approach and the graphical appeal of his logo.

The use of black and white not only maximized the visual contrast between his and his opponent's signs, but also the impact of his signs when seen from a distance. I've seen some images of typical street corners where multiple candidates have had multiple signs placed and you see this sea of highly predictable red, white and blue signs like a collage and then even a singular BETO sign just jumps out from the clutter.

While a risky move on color and restraint on not cramming every inch and ignoring the negative space, it appears to have some real thought beyond the typical cliches we see in political advertising.
Well said! Great insight into the kind of thoughtful and logical processes that go into even the "simplest" of yard signs. And remaining politically neutral while doing it too! I appreciate your honest and detailed design evaluation and the direct relevance to the OP....refreshing :)