• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ford Tailgate wrap, Remove Ford Emblem?

Spencer McMurtry

tailgate wrap on 2007 ford super duty pickup

i have read online that the ford emblems on the tailgate are very hard to get off and have small clips that can break easily?

i would prefer to leave it on, however if i do this how do i cut it out with out is showing white around it? lay tape on the emblem, then cut out slightly inside the emblem then lift it and then tuck?

Please Help!
Thanks!

Attachments

• superduty.jpg
    superduty.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 391

omgsideburns

if you can remove the emblem and get it back on without a problem go for it, otherwise you'll just have to trim.......

Spencer McMurtry

has anyone removed on of these before? how hard is it? this is a NICE pickup i would not want to break any clips or scratch any paint, please advise.

It's a real PITA. I think it took me over an hour and a half to get all the adhesive off of the truck after I removed the emblem.

The customer didn't want the emblem so I didn't have to remove the adhesive from it but that may be a bigger PITA.

Spencer McMurtry

It's a real PITA. I think it took me over an hour and a half to get all the adhesive off of the truck after I removed the emblem.

The customer didn't want the emblem so I didn't have to remove the adhesive from it but that may be a bigger PITA.

I am only charging a 2 hour install for the tail gate so that alone makes me say the it isnt worth my time.

i am going to lay that rubbery blue tape down wrap over it and cut on the tape so i dont cut the paint lift remove the tape then lay and hope for the best. unless there are any other suggestions?

Thanks for saving me a headache!

kev3232

get the emblem really hot. use a hard plastic squeegee to get under it and start prying up carefully. you should get most of the double sided tape up with the emblem. if you pull up and at an angle, the tape should come off pretty easy. just did 2 a couple weeks ago, took about 10 mins each.

I'm not disagreeing with you but I tried the same trick on mine and it made a mess. The rest of the emblems came up no problem but the one on the tail gate was a major problem. Maybe it was a different adhesive.

~Chris

Here is the emblem trick...

Take some fishing line hold it like dental floss . Put it behind emblem then go from side to side like you were sawing off with fishing line. If they are stubborn hit it with a little heat.. It will cut right thought foam adhesive and get emblem off in one piece every time.....

briankb

Premium Subscriber

Take some fishing line hold it like dental floss . Put it behind emblem then go from side to side like you were sawing off with fishing line. If they are stubborn hit it with a little heat.. It will cut right thought foam adhesive and get emblem off in one piece every time.....

that's a great tip! thanks!

MARSERdesigns

Its a new truck, you wont have any problems. I have removed all the emblems off every vehicle I have ever owned.... all I have ever done is lift and gently pull from one corner, and it has left some adhesive, but nothing that a bit of rubbing didn't take care of. Then if you plan on putting it back on, get some 3M double sided foam tape.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
If it's the same as the one on my Ford truck, just squirt a little orange peel along the top of it, give it a couple of minutes to penetrate, and then perform the above mentioned fishing line removal. Any residual adhesive on either the metal or the badge is quickly cleaned up with a bit more orange peel.

Don't try to pull it off, you'll just break it. Just slice through the adhesive.

There should be 2 plastic studs projecting from the back of the badge. The merely fit into matching holes in the sheet metal, they have no clip mechanism, they're there simply to locate the badge. The badge itself is held on with double sided tape which can be purchased at any auto parts store.

I've had the badges off and on my truck many many times. It's not a big deal. The badges should always sit on top of a proper wrap, not be cut out.

kstompaint

We just did an 08 F250 and had no trouble removing the emblem. I never wrap around anything that I can take off, but we charge accordingly. We have a tool that looks like a small screw driver but has a hook on the end. Heat it, put the hook under the emblem at the bottom (so if it does make a small mark, nobody will ever see it) and pull gently and steadily until it comes up. Don't over heat it, just warm it up. Use an eraser wheel on your drill to remove the tape and adhesive cleaner for the rest. Wrap the gate, apply 3M foam tape to the emblem and re-apply. I would never wrap around an emblem.

Spencer McMurtry

here are pictures of the process i used, if i was to-do it again i would of put the blue tape closer to the edges of the emblem.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 237
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 237
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 201
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 218

synergy_jim

ding ding ding...... we have a winner....