• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Formed sign face help needed

Stacey K

I like making signs
Yesterday I received 2 phone calls from 2 different taverns for new signs. The good thing is both signs are exactly the same. I'm not sure if I have to order the formed sign face or if a flat face will work? I found "Wholesale Sign Superstore" and am working on an estimate for the formed faces. $383 for the large and $132 for the small, set of 2 each, one for each side - my cost. I see now why these taverns only letter the bottom part. Does anyone know if this is a "standard" type size and if I can buy them anywhere else or have a different option? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_2124.JPEG
    IMG_2124.JPEG
    461.5 KB · Views: 251

unclebun

That sign came to the bar for free from Pabst (originally). You see the same kind of deal at some automotive-related or powersports-related shops. The manufacturer offers the sign for free or at much-reduced price. The lower part comes blank, or sometimes from the beer distributor already lettered with black vinyl lettering. This is why so many of them have mounting that looks homemade--it was! They have a friend or regular patron who can weld and they rig something up themselves.

Looking at the picture, the result would be disappointing if you use flat faces. The cabinet is too narrow and will cause hotspots from the bulbs. In addition, small cabinets like that are often made for thin material on the faces, and putting in 3/16" flat plex won't fit.

If it's not too badly yellowed, you can probably reletter the bottom part. You may want to check with your local sign suppliers (Glantz, Grimco, etc.) to see where pan faces are made nearby. Because of the size they are expensive to ship, but if they are in the same town as your distributor, they may bring them on your delivery truck, or you may even be able to order it directly through your distributor.

Stacey K

I like making signs
You can probably get away with flat faces, but you might get hotspots where the bulbs run. For our formed faces we use https://signfaces.com/
Just checked them out, thank you!. It's nice to see they are "97% on time" LOL - I imagine I can use just one face for this also? No sense in having 2 if they don't plan to keep the Pabst on top...right?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I would not put a flat face in there, or you AND your customer will be sorry. Those are old Pepsi or 7-up cabinets or beer signs built specifically for pan faces. You're lucky if the depth is 6". A lot of them are only 4.5". You will most assuredly have hot-spots. They are standard sizes and your numbers are quite good. The top one is back-sprayed and the bottom one looks like vinyl. For the cost difference, just go with new.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I would not put a flat face in there, or you AND your customer will be sorry. Those are old Pepsi or 7-up cabinets or beer signs built specifically for pan faces. You're lucky if the depth is 6". A lot of them are only 4.5". You will most assuredly have hot-spots. They are standard sizes and your numbers are quite good. The top one is back-sprayed and the bottom one looks like vinyl. For the cost difference, just go with new.
OK, that sounds great! Thank you!

Stacey K

I like making signs
That sign came to the bar for free from Pabst (originally). You see the same kind of deal at some automotive-related or powersports-related shops. The manufacturer offers the sign for free or at much-reduced price. The lower part comes blank, or sometimes from the beer distributor already lettered with black vinyl lettering. This is why so many of them have mounting that looks homemade--it was! They have a friend or regular patron who can weld and they rig something up themselves.

Looking at the picture, the result would be disappointing if you use flat faces. The cabinet is too narrow and will cause hotspots from the bulbs. In addition, small cabinets like that are often made for thin material on the faces, and putting in 3/16" flat plex won't fit.

If it's not too badly yellowed, you can probably reletter the bottom part. You may want to check with your local sign suppliers (Glantz, Grimco, etc.) to see where pan faces are made nearby. Because of the size they are expensive to ship, but if they are in the same town as your distributor, they may bring them on your delivery truck, or you may even be able to order it directly through your distributor.
Ahhh...interesting, I will call around to see if I can find them local! Such good information with you guys!

Stacey K

I like making signs
Now, another tavern just called me (#3) but he has replaced the bulbs inside with LED lights and does not want the pan face. He wants flat face with opaque vinyl...IDK about that. Thoughts?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Are the replacements lattice or sticks ?? Also, you need to know the lumen. The faces could still be too close with it being flat.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Being that they are taverns, you may also need to explain what a "hot spot" is. They might think that it's a good thing :D

Stacey K

I like making signs
Just have a large statement on your proposal: Flat faces will cause hotspots.
You may have some luck turning the sticks so the modules face the sides of the cabinet rather than the face, but no guarantees... Flat with a primarily black background wouldn't look bad, the hot spotting will not be as noticeable.
When you talk about hot spots, is that more of a "look" that you can see where the lights are or is that a fire hazard?

unclebun

holy-city-gutter-works-lighted-cabinet-sign.jpg

Hard to find pictures of hotspots, but here's one. Sad thing is this was on a sign shop's website touting their own work.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Just heard back from the guy. They are rope type LED. I'm guessing that's not really the right kind of lights LOL He wants opaque black vinyl background with his logo in white and gray. Seems odd to me...

Stacey K

I like making signs

I found a place near enough by that I could save on shipping and pick them up...or rather, pay a teenager to pick them up LOL

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I always got a kick outta those kinds f requests.

Seriously, a sign is meant to be visible and read from a distance and an electric sign of sorts..... even further yet. Now, you blank out most of the background with opaque black and now the electric sign has a much less electrifying ability and the distance is greatly reduced. To me, this is like someone sitting by a lamp with a black lampshade trying to read a book in the dark............................

Perhaps you won't have any hot spots if most of it's blanked out..... at least not for that customer.​

Stacey K

I like making signs
Yeah, I always got a kick outta those kinds f requests.

Seriously, a sign is meant to be visible and read from a distance and an electric sign of sorts..... even further yet. Now, you blank out most of the background with opaque black and now the electric sign has a much less electrifying ability and the distance is greatly reduced. To me, this is like someone sitting by a lamp with a black lampshade trying to read a book in the dark............................

Perhaps you won't have any hot spots if most of it's blanked out..... at least not for that customer.​
OK, sounds like a shot in the dark with this one as far as quality goes. I'll have to think about it. This guy is real pushy and it's about the 3rd time he's called me for a price and ends up not ordering, because I wouldn't donate 100 t-shirts to his brat fry last year. Small town so if it looks like crap, everyone will see it and everyone will know it was me LOL Thanks!

signage

With it having rope light in it would cause me to not take the job, those are not for inside a sign cabinet! The rest just show doesn't really know what he is doing pass it on to the next guy.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Just checked them out, thank you!. It's nice to see they are "97% on time" LOL - I imagine I can use just one face for this also? No sense in having 2 if they don't plan to keep the Pabst on top...right?

I use them, and don't believe that 97% ontime BS. They are good though

Stacey K

I like making signs
With it having rope light in it would cause me to not take the job, those are not for inside a sign cabinet! The rest just show doesn't really know what he is doing pass it on to the next guy.
That is exactly what I decided to do. This is a small town in the middle of the downtown, not a good idea to put out shotty work. Thank you!