• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Found this plastic gear under my printer?

gabagoo

Was vacuuming and found this little plastic gear on the floor. Not usre it came from the printer. JV3 It is 1/2" high. Anyone have any ideas if it fell out of my printer?

Attachments

• IMG_0821.JPG
    IMG_0821.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 397

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
If the printer works then either the part didn't fall off the machine or it's not necessary for it to function. When I was but a lad I was riding in a friends car and it began to make a rude mechanical noise. I inquired as to the wisdom of stopping and having a look at things. My friend just stood on the gas remarking that he'd either fix it or break it off. If the former we were good to go, if the latter we'd have to fix it anyway and it would be easier to figure out what broke. Sage counsel.

Allik is right, it gives a bit of resistance when the media is pulled to stop if from unwinding. Without it your media may be fed unevenly.

gabagoo

Thanks... that's where I found it too. will look it over and see if I can get it back on. ..... I looked and there is already one there...but I looked at the other takeup wheel and that's where it came from. Snapped back on and good to go.

Last edited:

ikarasu

I saw a small patch of oil under my car. I figured my car still runs, so obviously some asshole parked in my spot, or Ive been scammed all my life and my car doesn't need oil. I smiled about all the money I would save on oil changes and went along my days doing my business.

A few weeks later my car stopped working and the mechanic told me it's because I ran out of oil and the engine seized .crooks wanted $5-6000 for a new engine.

Jokes on him, I knew my car didn't really need oil, so it must have been something else. I shrugged it off, junked the car and bought a new one. How dare the mechanics expect me to do a little research and tell me if I had spent 5 minutes asking someone a question, I could have potentially saved myself from a huge expensive repair bill.

Sometimes I don't get you guys

Andy D

That's called a pocket part... anytime I put something together like
furniture, and when I have some hardware left over, it's pocket parts.:)

bob

I saw a small patch of oil under my car. I figured my car still runs, so obviously some ******* parked in my spot, or Ive been scammed all my life and my car doesn't need oil. I smiled about all the money I would save on oil changes and went along my days doing my business.

A few weeks later my car stopped working and the mechanic told me it's because I ran out of oil and the engine seized .crooks wanted $5-6000 for a new engine.

Jokes on him, I knew my car didn't really need oil, so it must have been something else. I shrugged it off, junked the car and bought a new one. How dare the mechanics expect me to do a little research and tell me if I had spent 5 minutes asking someone a question, I could have potentially saved myself from a huge expensive repair bill.

Sometimes I don't get you guys

Perhaps your handlers could explain to you the difference between an integral component of a device and lubrication issues. For additional credit they might touch on the concept of 'tortured reasoning' and just how that renders you an even larger fool than you normally are.

ikarasu

Perhaps your handlers could explain to you the difference between an integral component of a device and lubrication issues. For additional credit they might touch on the concept of 'tortured reasoning' and just how that renders you an even larger fool than you normally are.
I'm sure an expert could explain it to me. But by your logic I shouldn't even ask the question. It either works with the part, or it'll eventually break and I can fix it later...

What if that gear is for one of the wiper blades, and it's not rotating? There's a couple grand repair from the print head never getting cleaned...

My point is just because something isn't obviously broken, doesn't mean it's not breaking more. A simple forum post such as gabagoos could potentially save him thousands in future repairs.

My example was a bit extreme... But it was meant to be in order to get my point across, sometimes ignorance isn't bliss

JR's

This reminds me of my brother.
A long time ago he used to work at a place where they would repair machinery.
They would break them down and rebuild them.

Every once in a while he'd walk by this guys bench and put a couple of extra pots in the holding tray.
And then watch the guy go crazy trying to figure out where this pot came from.

It's good you found where it came from.

bob

What if that gear is for one of the wiper blades, and it's not rotating? There's a couple grand repair from the print head never getting cleaned...

The wonderful world of 'if'. If my aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle.

More pedantically what you have stated is called a material implication which is a statement in the form 'if A then B'. There are 4 possibilities for this statement and 3 of them are always true, only one is false. That would be having A true and B false. In all other arrangements of A true or false and B true or false the statement is true. The sentential form of a material implication is B or not A. Because of this, arguing from a material implication is, more often than not, feeble forensic technique. Moreover conclusions drawn from a material implication are equally as often, fallacious.

If you have something resembling a sound argument present it. Or put a sock in it.

ikarasu

If the printer works then either the part didn't fall off themachine or it's not necessary for it to function.

So my "if" is a problem, but yours isn't? Unless he l ows what the part is for, how does he know "if" the printer is working? It may turn on, it may print, but it may also be causing thousands of dollars in damages.

A guy finds a piece of his printer on the floor, a 100% sign something fell off his printerpandor something else, and he asks whats it for, hoping to prevent an expensive tech repair... And your advice was if it's running fine, the part isn't necessary for it to function, and you really don't see a problem with that?

I'm going to go loosen all the lights nuts on your car, it'll still drive, until it doesn't. Remove a random part from your printer... It'll still print, until it doesn't .

This is supposed to be a place to help people, to give them good advice .Not to tell them to ignore all their problems and tuck their head between their legs going nothing happens.

If you can't see the reasoning of my logic, there's no hope .And unlike some I'm not going to blame it on an age issue, or a politics issue... Some people are just how they are. If you as an owner, find out your employee found a random part underneath your printer, and just shrugged it off... How would you feel? Anyways.. I have nothing to contribute since op already figured out what it was, rather than ramble more and bicker I have real work to do, so I won't be replying anymore. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion anyways... Even if it is a a stupid opinion;)

Last edited:

gabagoo

I appreciate your argument ikarasu, and I agree 100% with your argument. I posted the question for exactly what you stated. An example of "if it ain't broke don't worry about it" issues. For example.... For a period of time ( and I have no idea why it started, and why it has stopped) the odd time the metal screens that sit in the capping stations were missing. I spent quite a bit of time trying to find them for fear they may have got themselves stuck somewhere on the print head and at any time could fall off in the middle of a print and really damage the head unit. Many times I found them down under the wiper, but on a few occasions I did find them stuck right on the head...and that could have cost a fair bit to repair had I ignored it.
I have had this jv3 printer for over 10 years. I take care of it and it takes care of me. The idea of buying a new printer at this point in my life and having to deal with learning it's nuances and how to deal with new rips and old files terrifies me.

ikarasu

ikarasu, don't bother arguing with bob. It'll just frustrate you and further inflate his ego. He's never wrong about anything, he's the almighty bob.

It kind of feels that way around here a lot lately. I don't mind debating stuff, or trying to get someone to understand my point of view... But sometimes it really feels like a lot of posts are just to try and rile people up, which is why I gave up on the argument. I 100% Don't believe bob actually feels the way he says in this post, whether he's bored and trying to have some fun, or trying to say something and it's coming across another way... Who knows. Either way, Bigons are bigons, I hold nothing against him. And I'm sure within a few weeks there will be another thread me and him are arguing our viewpoints about :D