• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Frank Frazetta, Fantasy Illustrator, Dies at 82

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I have many of his books and have admired his work for a lo-o-o-ng time.

RIP

Service Sign Co

That's terrible that he passed away. He was one of the great illustrators for many generations and possibly many more in the century's ahead.

OldPaint

ive repainted quite a few of em..............now its boris valajho & rowenna who will have to take up the slack.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Frazetta, much like Jack Davis, founded an entire genre of illustration and an attendant army of imitators. His trademark pyramidal layouts and attention to unbelievably imaginative detail were incredible. He was one of my heroes.

Baz

He was the best in his genre ... He inspired a great many people ... He will be missed! R.I.P. :notworthy:

surf city

It's very sad when someone of his caliber from any trade passes away. I have often wished that there was a way to extract all the knowledge that someone had aquired in his life to be able to pass it on to future generations. His artwork will continue to inspire people but, the vast knowledge is gone.

SebastienL

Saw a documentary on him once. At one point in is career, he couldn't use is right hand to paint anymore. Don't remember why. But he taught himself to paint with is left hand.

A legend, an inspiration...

r.i.p.

SignManiac

Frank Frazetta made a huge impact on me when I was young, along with M.C. Escher and Dali. I still have every book of his artwork in my library.

Long before I knew anything about copyright infringement, I airbrushed one of his pieces onto my surfboard. When my kids were still very young, I would let them take the board down to the lake where they would spend hours paddling around on it. They met some other small kids their age who were were playing on the beach that day.One of the children they met told my kids that their uncle painted the surfboard and then my kids said no, that their dad, me had painted it. Well it turns out, their mother was Frank Frazetta's sister :) My wife met the other kids mother on the beach that day and that's when I learned all about copyright laws first hand.

Nothing ever came of it. No profit or gain, just the ultimate compliment to Frank! I remember seeing his art painted on all the cool vans of the day with the shag carpet lined walls inside, along with the lava lamps and all the other hippie accouterments of the era.

Here are two of his designs I airbrushed on my personal boards. The last board was my very first airbrush attempt.

A sad loss of a great pioneering talent in the world of fantasy art. I have always felt a connection.

Attachments

• airbrush-02.jpg
    airbrush-02.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 158
  • airbrush-03.jpg
    airbrush-03.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 149
  • airbrush-01.jpg
    airbrush-01.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 161