• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Free Equipment

BillyBoy86

I just got a message from a friend of mine who works for a franchise printer. He said they are throwing out a HP Designjet 5500PS. Sitting for the last few years, needs motherboard. free to me if i want it. Worth it? Not worth it? what's it take to replace a motherboard?
thanks!
Bill

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Unless you do a ton of indoor type posters and small indoor banners, and need an additional printer for that kind of stuff and want to dump some into it, I'd say it's pretty useless.

BillyBoy86

Unless you do a ton of indoor type posters and small indoor banners, and need an additional printer for that kind of stuff and want to dump some into it, I'd say it's pretty useless.
Pretty much what i figured, Just end up taking up space for awhile....or more likely until i try to get rid of it

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
The 5500 was a beast! I love that machine. You can make money with it for sure, you will also need a laminator. There are lots of indoor applications it can do very well still.

Billct2

I agree with both comments. It's worth it if you have or think you can create a market for indoor posters. There are lots of them around that you could pick up cheap/for nothing for parts. But if you're not into playing tech with it I wouldn't bother.

soundhound

I run a 5500 every day and they are great machines! The PS is particularly great, but once there is an electrical issue (such as fried board) they are pretty much toast.

It seems that all of the electronics kind of die together. If you are thinking of getting into the 5500s, I would take this one for parts and be on the lookout for one that is running.

I think that I recall a HP promotion where you traded in your 5500 by sending HP the motherboard. So, they might be hard to find for a specific model...

Another issue is that the ink tubes could be dried up if it sat that long.