• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Friday the 13th...two days early?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
My wife looked out the door this morning, just as a passing truck hauling junk drove by. In a split second, she saw a wheel (that was on the bed of the trailer) bounce off, hit the road and then become airborne. After several swift bounces, it managed to hit my humble little engraved limestone sign like the #1 pin at the bowling alley.

Needless to say, the sign practically exploded and the tire continued its flight some fifty or so yards further. Dear wifey said it was one of the most incredible things she’d seen in a long time. I’m kind of glad she saw it happen, otherwise I would have thought vandalism was to blame.

My daughter had intended to be out in that general vicinity mowing the lawn this morning, but thank God for small miracles.

Anyway, I had intended to replace the sign with our new logo that was updated last year. I have seven more years of design experience than when I had first made it, so the creative wheels are already turning. Keeping the old sign for posterity had been in the in the plans, though.

I’m reminded of this story of Thomas Edison…

In 1914 Thomas Edison’s factory in West Orange, New Jersey, was virtually destroyed by fire. Although the damage exceeded $2 million, the buildings were insured for only $238,000 because they were made of concrete and were thought to be fireproof. Much of Edison’s life work went up in smoke and flames that December night.

At the height of the fire, Edison’s 24-year-old son, Charles, searched frantically for his father. He finally found him, calmly watching the fire, his face glowing in the reflection, his white hair blowing in the wind.

“My heart ached for him,” said Charles. “He was 67 — no longer a young man — and everything was going up in flames. When he saw me, he shouted, “Charles, where’s your mother?” When I told him I didn’t know, he said, ‘Find her. Bring her here. She will never see anything like this as long as she lives.’”

The next morning, Edison looked at the ruins and said, “There is great value in disaster. All our mistakes are burned up. Thank God we can start anew.”

Three weeks after the fire, Edison managed to deliver the first phonograph.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 77
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 87

anotherdog

did you get the licence plate or ID the truck?

There is great value in disaster, as long as someone else pays.

James Burke

did you get the licence plate or ID the truck?

There is great value in disaster, as long as someone else pays.

Nope...he was just passing by, and didn't even realize it fell off.

As for the hubcap, it's off a Hyundai...sure wishin' it could have been off a Jag or Merceedes...could've pawned it to help pay for the new sign.

I'm pricing granite, just for kicks...

JB

fmg

Kind of reminded me of this!

Attachments

• come-on-ease-off-the-ass-already-xsbbc.jpg
    come-on-ease-off-the-ass-already-xsbbc.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 68

skyhigh

Sorry to hear about your sign James.

Glad to hear no one was hurt. Amazing it could do that much damage.

James Burke

Sorry to hear about your sign James.

Glad to hear no one was hurt. Amazing it could do that much damage.

I'm still trying to figure it out myself. Anyway, here's our new sign in case you missed it on another thread. It's gray granite 12" x 48" x 4" thick and placed on Unilock concrete wall blocks. I still need to do some landscaping...most likely will remove the pavers and place them further out and mulch around it...we're in a rural setting.

Jim

Attachments

• Sign.jpg
    Sign.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 66

bernie

a complete blessing in disguise! You may not have gotten around to
replacing that old sign right away and look at the awesome new one!!
Sweet!

The best part of this is your wife saw what hit the old sign! Otherwise you may
have thought some ornery kid hit it with a sledge hammer as he bicycled
by! :)

Bernie

James Burke

Otherwise you may
have thought some ornery kid hit it with a sledge hammer as he bicycled
by! :) Bernie

Exactly.

I've looked in the high grass for an hour or so, but still haven't found the errant spare tire that hit the old sign. I'm beginning to question my wife's story...but I think we'll set up a small search party and try again.

I still scratch my in wonder of just how much energy it must have taken to split the stone and then toss it eight feet from its foundation.

But yeah....I'm really glad it happened.

JB

SD&F

On a lighter note: My daughter and I went to Lackland Airforce on Friday the 13th to watch her fiancee graduate from training. We then immediately went to the courthouse and they got married.....

James Burke

On a lighter note: My daughter and I went to Lackland Airforce on Friday the 13th to watch her fiancee graduate from training. We then immediately went to the courthouse and they got married.....

Clicking the "like" button here....absolutely nothing inherently wrong with Friday the 13th.

JB