• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

From Karen to Hero in 24 hours...nothing to do with signs

Stacey K

I like making signs
Some might remember my dog post from last winter. Many of you stated you have the same problem. Neighbors have an untrained coonhound in the city that is tied up 20' from my home office, 2 bedrooms and 30' from my patio.

Last winter I nicely told them the dog was waking us up at night with it's constant barking. The sleeping situation got better but not the daytime barking. It was driving me insane. Summer is coming and we cannot sit in the backyard because of the barking, it barks all morning while I do bookwork, it's horrible! I can't have people over and even have a conversation outside!

I mailed an anonymous letter suggesting they get a bark collar or I would have no choice to start reporting the dog.

Shortly after the mail was delivered Saturday I overheard her asking 2 neighbors if they were bothered, they both didn't say much - it was a little hard to hear. Then she asked me. I knew I had to be honest or nothing would change. YIKES! She went off on me! I suggested nicely many times a bark collar or some training would help and then everyone is happy, including the dog! She scoffed at the idea and completely denied the dog barks. Her husband ran into the house like a chicken. Long story short, after 15 minutes of listening to her deny I raised my arms and said loudly, "You can't tell me you don't hear that dog bark!" and I walked into the house. At least one neighbor overheard.

I felt really bad. I thought for sure the neighborhood would think I'm just a "Karen". I was almost embarrassed to be outside or say hi to any neighbor. I thought "I got called a Karen on Signs101, maybe I really AM a Karen!"

Turns out, a neighbor contacted me the next morning and stated the dog had attacked hers last summer and my neighbor was a real B* about it - they got into an argument and hate each other LOL. They are putting up a fence because of the barking and incase it gets off the leash...I said I am also! She told me everyone is glad I stood up to her, nobody can stand the dog and many are afraid of it. If you file a complaint, the police give them your name so I think it scared people off...me included.

I am now experiencing complete and total silence for the last 3 days, after a year of putting up with it. I can sit and have coffee outside before work, sit in my yard after work, it's absolutely fantastic! Not sure if they got rid of the dog AND I DON'T CARE! I never realized how much anxiety that barking gave me until it was gone LOL

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
You're overthinking this...
images.jpg

Reveal1

Right move you standing up to her. But people like that frequently regress; so you need a plan 'B". I hear BB guns work well. Classic Pavlov's dog. After a while, just rattling the blinds will silence the dog.

WildWestDesigns

It's things like this, I'm glad that I don't have neighbors and I'm glad that I have become more and more the hermit.

As to the BB gun etc, be very, very careful about bringing this to the next level. To quote ACD: "Snarling people have snarling dogs, dangerous people have dangerous ones". Make sure all your ducks are in a row.

If the dog has attacked someone else, then that should have been reported, especially if they sought medical treatment, depends on how bad that "attack" was on if they sought treatment or not. Make sure that the gun usage (BB or otherwise) is appropriate for the situation. It would depend on the jurisdiction that you are in.

Stacey K

I like making signs
It's things like this, I'm glad that I don't have neighbors and I'm glad that I have become more and more the hermit.

As to the BB gun etc, be very, very careful about bringing this to the next level. To quote ACD: "Snarling people have snarling dogs, dangerous people have dangerous ones". Make sure all your ducks are in a row.

If the dog has attacked someone else, then that should have been reported, especially if they sought medical treatment, depends on how bad that "attack" was on if they sought treatment or not. Make sure that the gun usage (BB or otherwise) is appropriate for the situation. It would depend on the jurisdiction that you are in.

I won't go that far with a BBgun or poison meatballs. I emailed the police last year to ask their advice and how I should move forward and if talking didn't help, how does filing a complaint work. Basically, I have to give my name and they tell the neighbor Stacey called to complain. I wanted to avoid that - no need anymore LOL. It can only bark for 5 minutes per hour according to city ordinance so if it becomes a problem again, I will call. The "attack" was not reported to police. I have a good relationship with the police and they told me they would have NO problem taking care of it. I just didn't want to be a Karen...hopefully they don't regress as Reveal1 said. It's funny because there are less other dogs barking now too...I think that dog got them all excited with it's constant barking. I hope it lasts!!!

Stacey K

I like making signs

And very good point about the snarling vs. dangerous! She is snarling, I don't think dangerous...she is a school psychiatrist LOL and he's in customer service.

WildWestDesigns

she is a school psychiatrist LOL and he's in customer service.

If she is a school shrink, then she is dangerous in a way, just may not be physically dangerous. If she acts the way that you describe.

There is a domino effect with dogs and barking that is for sure.

There is a good chance that they will get complacent and things may slip back.

As to the "karen" aspect, I think that has gotten thrown around so much that people have lost sight as to what it is with bringing up a legitimate issue versus just "barking for barking's sake"(see what I did there?).

Stacey K

I like making signs
If she is a school shrink, then she is dangerous in a way, just may not be physically dangerous. If she acts the way that you describe.

There is a domino effect with dogs and barking that is for sure.

There is a good chance that they will get complacent and things may slip back.

As to the "karen" aspect, I think that has gotten thrown around so much that people have lost sight as to what it is with bringing up a legitimate issue versus just "barking for barking's sake"(see what I did there?).
You are 100% correct on all of this!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If the dog starts barking again see if you can hold your neighbor down long enough to lock a bark collar on her.

At one of the first places I worked at, my boss told the story of a neighbor of his who kept his dog chained up out in the driveway. The dog would bark all day and night and really didn't get much exercise. He confronted the neighbor one day and the neighbor just yelled back at him to mind his own business. My boss went through the hedges and punched the guy in the face and then reported the guy for cruelty to animals. The dog was picked up and my boss didn't get in trouble for hitting the guy. The guy was also heavily fined from what I remember. Now that was my boss's version. That doesn't mean it was a true story. o_O

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
When I have had dog problems from a neighbor, I keep a spray bottle of ammonia handy. Even spraying it upwind from them will settle them down.

Marie

If the barking starts again, be sure to record it so there is evidence to give the police showing that the dog is barking for long periods of time! Good luck - I hope the silent treatment continues!!

Reveal1

I'm a cyclist and a few years back had problems with an unleashed German Shepard coming at me in the road (up hill of course). Never bit me up to that point, but had me nervous. Went to the County Sheriffs office and asked about leash law (non in my mostly rural county once outside of town) and suggestions how I could defend myself. I sure wasn't going to ride my bike up a long country drive to find out who owned the dog. He suggested mace. I sometimes carry a firearm, but not usually when riding, so I asked him about using a firearm and he said nothing preventing that if the dog is in the roadway and I fear for my safety. Well he finally bit me (the dog that is) - turns out he was old and almost toothless so just a scratch. Next ride I used mace; took two rides as the dog was a slow learner (or I was just as stubborn because I wasn't going to let that dog alter my ride), but no more problems. Would have made more effort to confront the owner if that didn't work, but if the dog was a pit bull, wouldn't hesitate to shoot it.

I love dogs and most problems are because of idiot owners. But you do what you need to do.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
He-e-e-ey what's that supposed to mean ?? We have real big ones out front and out back with deep sounding pipes. Of course, our neighbors are too far away to really hear them.