• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

frosted glass

BK Vinyl

I have a police department looking to frost the glass on the training room doors to stop distractions. They want a frosted look, but no visibility either way. They also are looking for a film for the dispatch windows that is one way only. They have tint up, but are complaining about being able to see in, especially at night when the lights are on. Any ideas?

J Hill Designs

for B, lights are always going to cause problems with 1-way vision films, its the nature of the beast.
for A, 'no visibility either way at all' isn't really frosted - you can make out shapes etc

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
1) Etch Vinyl (we use Oracal 8510 and is great)
2) Window perf is the only thing you're going to feasibly do that is one way.

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
1) Etch Vinyl (we use Oracal 8510 and is great)
2) Window perf is the only thing you're going to feasibly do that is one way.

Note that even with window perf, if the ambient light inside of the room is brighter than outside the windows that the perf is on, they'll be able to see through at night. Clear Focus now has an 80/20 calendared perf that we are using on exhibits with meeting rooms that are open at the top. 50/50 and even 65/35 were too "transparent" to provide privacy. Even with the 80/20, you get some see-through but its better.

I have a police department looking to frost the glass on the training room doors to stop distractions. They want a frosted look, but no visibility either way. They also are looking for a film for the dispatch windows that is one way only. They have tint up, but are complaining about being able to see in, especially at night when the lights are on. Any ideas?

no such thing as one way mirror tint.......you can always see in with interior lights on.....they think it like csi watching threw the window.....its dark in there thats why they cant see back.....if you use spot lights and bounce light off the glass/film on the reflective side that would help not being able to see in.

you would need a 3M P18 ,Affinity 15, or Night Vision 15 to achieve this

fresh

We get requests for this unicorn ALL THE TIME. People just don't understand physics. The only way to be able to see in and not out during the day and at night is by blacking out the windows and using a camera.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
As far as your frosted glass project, put etch on the outside of the glass and a med grey opaque vinyl from the inside. Etch on both sides may work, but you won't really be 100% non-see-thru.

you don't want to use etch for the frost doesn't offer enough privacy and two layers i more sq ft to buy and lay for no reason, you need to go with a more opaque frost such as a 3m Milano, San Marino.......3M Dusted Crystal would work as well......although is more like vinyl actually the thicker milano and marino are much easier to lay on glass......i sell and install a lot of film/frost cut design and full coverage.....i also have a bunch of cheap Element brand deco film if you need anything by the foot i can help you out there, shoot me a pm