• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

frosted hell.

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
So, i go to apply two windows 24"x80". i use rapid tack on the second one and water on the first. no transfer tape and cleaned the windows with ammonia free glass cleaner from that company in florida. it works really good out out vehicle and store front windows.
after applying everything wet, strong arming with a golden squeegee, everything looked awesome when i left the jobsite.
i had to return the next day to finish up and to my horror:
white spooge marks everywhere underneath the frosted.

Attachments

• IMG-4281.jpg
    IMG-4281.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG-4284.jpg
    IMG-4284.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 11916709.jpg
    11916709.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 113
Last edited by a moderator:

MikePro

lol.... "spooge"
frozen/crystallized moisture beneath the vinyl?
if so, nothing a few pokes (blade) and a blow (heat gun) can't cure :)

MikePro

Why anyone on this earth would wet apply is beyond me.
what?!? you's crazy ma'an.
I just applied 5 frosted windows @ 60" x 72" with adjacent doors @ 36" x 72".... NO WAY i'da attempted to dry-apply.
after a few attempts with rapid tac on previous projects, it simply dries toooo fast and leaves lines where I squeegee. soapy water and a few extra passes with the squeegee does the trick!

wmshuman

I did a 39"x92" project using frosted vinyl a few years back on a window that was inside a large bank lobby. I wanted to wet it up but my buddy showed me a technique where you tape the whole left side of the vinyl to the window and roll it up (reverse) to the tape. Make sure that tape is taped down good or you could have some serious problems. Anyways, peel back the backing paper and just keep squeeging straight up and down as you unroll the vinyl. Had the whole thing applied with absolutely no bubbles and in perfect alignment in less than 10 minutes. Also, if your vinyl is taller than wider, you would tape either the top or bottom edge instead of the sides. It is a technique that is similar to the way you would use a big squeegee but without the big squeegee. Maybe uploading a video will give a better explanation.

HulkSmash

what?!? you's crazy ma'an.
I just applied 5 frosted windows @ 60" x 72" with adjacent doors @ 36" x 72".... NO WAY i'da attempted to dry-apply.
after a few attempts with rapid tac on previous projects, it simply dries toooo fast and leaves lines where I squeegee. soapy water and a few extra passes with the squeegee does the trick!

Man, we install all day dry with frosted vinyl. I find it much easier.

fmg

Dish soap and water applied with a geek squad squeegee onto alcohol cleaned glass window
100% perfect results every time

704signs

I've got one of these installs coming up and I hold my breath every time. Who has the best recipe for a soap and water mix?

Jillbeans

I also apply large panels wet, I use Rapid Tac 2 and have not had any issues.
I never saw anything like that, it looks like whatever you used froze.
I do little stuff dry when using glass etch but no way on big stuff.
Love....Jill

DizzyMarkus

Jill -- I think you may have hit the nail on the head here. The OP said he used Rapid Tac and you mentioned Tac2 -- was the vinyl Cast or Calendered :thumb: I use Tac2 but on calendered only :smile:

klingsdesigns

95% of the time i apply dry. But if i do i use a baby shampoo and water mixture. Same solution i use to tint windows. Never had a problem.

fmg

Man I have just seen the pictures you posted.I have never seen anything like that.It looks like paint.
Just apply like I said and make sure the surface is real clean and you will be Golden.

Flame

Man, we install all day dry with frosted vinyl. I find it much easier.

Frosted? You're nuts bro, 110% nuts. About the only time I ever go wet, is window tint and frosted. I'd rather slit my wrists than do a big panel dry, so props to you to keeping your health while doing it.

I did a 39"x92" project using frosted vinyl a few years back on a window that was inside a large bank lobby. I wanted to wet it up but my buddy showed me a technique where you tape the whole left side of the vinyl to the window and roll it up (reverse) to the tape. Make sure that tape is taped down good or you could have some serious problems. Anyways, peel back the backing paper and just keep squeeging straight up and down as you unroll the vinyl. Had the whole thing applied with absolutely no bubbles and in perfect alignment in less than 10 minutes. Also, if your vinyl is taller than wider, you would tape either the top or bottom edge instead of the sides. It is a technique that is similar to the way you would use a big squeegee but without the big squeegee. Maybe uploading a video will give a better explanation.

That would be called the center hinge technique. That's how I do 90% of my installs. Hard to beat in most cases.

tsgstl

Pretty much only thing I use rapidtac for, besides maybe on windy days with big things (been burnt with stuff blowing together too many times)
I've never used rapidtac II before. Only problems I've ever had was if I center hinged long pieces and had paper bits show up later. They are see through when wet. But this seems strange like some form of reaction of some sort. See if you can work it out some way with a little heat.
I don't use hard squeegee's either, you can snag it and tear it. Felt works great. Good luck I'd love to know.

John Butto

Felt squeegee / Rapid Tac (both on glass and film) / two cleanings of glass with Sprayway glass cleaner with WypAll L40 wipes. I prefer Avery etch because it is cast. This method is for large pieces, any thing small can be installed dry, but after you get use to doing the wet, it is faster for one person install.