Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frosted Vinyl

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by JBurton, May 28, 2020.

1. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I have 7 full coverage doors with void cut logos to do and I'm kindly dreading them.
    I've been using 3m's Dusted Crystal forever. I hate it, but they do give 10 year indoor warranty on it, so that tends to seal the deal with most customers.
    Does anybody have a frosted type film they prefer or have great experience with. Dusted is the worst as far as weeding and applying without trash/trapped fluids. Trash will be an issue for all obviously, but I have used some very cheap frosted vinyls in the past that were stiffer and went down more easily, just don't know what it was.
    Any and all recommendations are appreciated.

Tags:
  2. jfiscus

jfiscus Map Wraster

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    I like the MacTac B-Free Frosted/Dusted, no issues with it using it for around 3 years now. Air release and dry install.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Arlon makes Ever Etched Cast with FLITE which means you apply dry. Used it once from a sample they sent and it was great. I have used Arlon regular cast etch for years and wet applied with great results. But if your putting logos on there and do not want a second trip back the Ever Etch is the way to go.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    3m Dusted/Frosted has been my go-to for decades. only tips i have to offer, is to use high-tack transfer tape if plotter-cutting.

i do like the idea of dry-installing mactac's B-Free, AND they come in 54" rolls for much much MUCH cheaper than 3M's. If I do make the switch, this would be my direction but I haven't had any experience with it yet.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    How do you mean? I was figuring on literally cutting the logo out of a large rectangle, masking, and sticking it all. Or are you just saying the stuff is so good you won't foul up a panel and have to return?

6. Johnny Best

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Yep.

• Like Like x 1
  7. KMC

KMC Graphic Artist

Feb 12, 2018
    Alberta
    I love 3M vinyl BUT I find that the 3M dusted crystal is expensive compared to other brands, my usual go-to was Avery until one of the other installers here said something about the stretch it gives when installing large pieces so we have switched to Orafol 8510 #090 Silver Fine cuts great and installs like a dream

• Like Like x 1
  8. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I hate frosted vinyl

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Moze

Moze Precision Sign Services

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Oracal / Orafol 8510 - thicker and lays down better than 3M since it's more rigid.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Johnny Best

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    I have used Avery cast etch, Orical 8810 cast and 3M, I prefer cast over the stiffer calendar vinyls and now use Arlin which looks just like Avery and Oracal vinyls. Have used 3M for contract jobs but prefer the others. 3M is pricey.

• Like Like x 1
  11. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Awesome guys, I appreciate the focused responses! I'm going to get some samples ordered and find one I like...though I've been informed the 48" 3m is already on its way.
    [​IMG]